Q5

Dyounker
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q5

by Dyounker Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm

So... I put down C instead of D. I thought that the point of the passage was to reconcile the NA tribe's claim against the city, but apparently it was to critique an earlier solution to a problem. What problem was the passage critiquing? The court's understanding of how the Mashepee tribe (or non-tribe) communicates?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q5

by ohthatpatrick Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey, there.

The correct answer is (B). I think you may have had an answer key mishap.

When I read RC, I like to look for the "Most Valuable Sentence" (sometimes you have to pick more than one, but often the author's main point is crystallized in one sentence).

In this passage, I felt like line 12-15 was the MVS. (The last sentence of the first paragraph is often where you find the big idea)

Sure enough, the answer to Q1 was (C) and it's a paraphrase of that line.

And the answer Q5 is (B), which again paraphrases that line.

In general, if you feel like the passage you're reading is a very factual overview of some situation, then the "big idea" is whatever sentence the author uses to frame the importance of the situation, or to summarize how it's noteworthy.

(C) is definitely tempting, as there are two opposing sides in this story ... the NA's vs. the city. But does the author suggest a way to reconcile the situation? The author is really highlighting the PROBLEM of how the court system is ill-equipped to deal with the NA's lack of written documentation. There aren't two sides mentioned in terms of how to address that problem.

Hope this helps.