Q5

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Q5

by noah Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 pm

shodges Wrote:What is a good way to answer number 5 without having to restort to trial and error???

If you framed it, you can eliminate a couple of answers using the frames.

If you didn't frame it, the more slick way of doing this question is to think about what needs to be resolved in order for R to be a J. Here's what it sounds like:

If R must have a J, we'd need to have used up the 2 Gs and 2 Hs. We already have one G (with N) so the correct answer has to ensure that M, O, and P get G, H, and H. [Here, I write them in a cloud above that area of the diagram.] Let's start evaluating answers [Here, I am about to start doing trial and error, but looking for something very specific, so it'll move faster.]

(A) uses up a G and an H. Looking good so far. Who's left of our M, O, P crowd? O (and we have an H left). Could O get that J, leaving R with the final H? Yes. Eliminate.

(B) uses up a G and an H too. We still have nothing placed with P, (and an H to place), and, like in (A), it could get that J. Eliminate.

(C) also uses up a G and an H. We've got M left (and an H). Could M get that J? No, so R must get it. Pull the trigger!

Now, maybe some ultra geek could figure out the likely answer a bit more beforehand, but it's unlikely. So, to be clear, I'm suggesting that you are doing trial and error, but it's not from scratch, it's in the context of understanding what has to be "done" in order to force the situation we're trying to force.

I hope that helps.