Q5

hilarykustoff
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q5

by hilarykustoff Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Can someone please explain this one? Thanks!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q5

by timmydoeslsat Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm

hilarykustoff Wrote:Can someone please explain this one? Thanks!

This is a local question stem asking what must be true if the three girls are assigned to the first three lockers.

We know that N and T cannot be adjacent with one another. This will force R to be between them:

The X denotes that no boy will be placed there as R cannot share a locker with a boy.

We can make further inferences from this. We know that N and T are interchangeable in this game. One of them will share a locker with F in locker 3, but the other of N and T could share a locker at slot 1. In fact, thinking further, we know that this locker must be shared, and it must be shared with J. We are told in the rules that J must share a locker. This is the only slot available where sharing can take place.

So we know that J must be assigned to locker 1.

Also, I would finish out this hypothetical really quickly after answering the question because it may be helpful to me in a global question in eliminating answer choices.

I would have to place M/P (they are interchangeable variables) are dual options in slot 4 and 5, and those lockers cannot be shared as there are no girls there, so I would simply place X's there. This could be of value to me in a global question later in the game.

hilarykustoff
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q5

by hilarykustoff Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you!