Q5

peg_city
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Q5

by peg_city Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I understand why C is right but can't D be inferred from 35-42?

Thanks

austindyoung
Thanks Received: 22
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Re: Q5

by austindyoung Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Well- I don't think those lines indicate a benefit of mass media.

It's hard to spot, I thought, but (C) is correct, it seems, because of lines 55-58. At first, I didn't think the passage suggested this at all-just that impartiality is communal, not individual goal to attain to, and that the "community" in this era is exposed to mass media. Thus, impartiality will necessarily involve those who have been exposed to it, and thus the crimes and cases it covers.

However, these lines state that (paraphrase) impartiality is created by a process that involves many people that are curios, have opinions, and are informed.

Well, lines 5-8 tell us that mass media has led to people who have opinions and are more informed that some think they should be. So, mass media could potentially aid in achieving impartiality.

abcde
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by abcde Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello,

I was wondering why (B) is a wrong answer.

From line 51-58, isn't the author basically saying the impartiality results from one's exposure to mass media? I thought (B) was a valid choice because jurors improve ability to minimize their biases(=become impartial) through a process of deliberation among many members of a panel of informed, curious, and even opinionated people (through mass media)

Please help!

Thank you :)

hana.kid
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by hana.kid Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I chose (B) as well thinking kind of along the same lines! But upon reviewing the question, I think we may have misinterpreted the last paragraph.

(C) is right because, in the last paragraph, the author actually says that impartiality is attained through a process of deliberation among many informed people, and therefore exposure to mass media strengthens this process by making people more informed and opinionated.

(B) is wrong because it is directly contradicted. The author is saying that different opinions/biases are good for impartiality. What we read in lines 21-25 should have made us more hesitant to choose (B). Also, now that I think about it, I don't think there's anything about improving the ability to minimize biases in the passage.

Hope that helped!

mimimimi
Forum Guests

by mimimimi Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Initially I was confused by B as well. As I went through the text again, I found the problem in B. According to the passage:

(55)-(56): "Impartiality does not reside in the mind of any one juror;"

(58) "it instead results from...informed, curious, and even opinionated people."

Therefore, our author does not argue for improving "impartiality" in a person, for all we know, he might even support bias/partiality in them. (B) is contradicted.