Q5

kjg56
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q5

by kjg56 Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I chose C because of the language in line 12 "...the 1930 masterpiece...". I thought that language matched well with "foremost accomplishment of it's time". Granted, masterpiece doesn't necessarily mean foremost - is that why this answer is incorrect?

I struggled to see how B is supported. I know that in general, the author believes that perfume is art and that it is no less important than other art. However, most of the passage discusses painting, not sculpture. Moreover, I don't see support that that specific perfume is no less important than a specific (great piece of) sculpture.

Can someone tell me where my analysis is flawed?

Thank you!

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q5

by maryadkins Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:10 pm

kjg56 Wrote:I thought that language matched well with "foremost accomplishment of it's time". Granted, masterpiece doesn't necessarily mean foremost - is that why this answer is incorrect?

Yes. Masterpiece does not equate to "foremost." You can have numerous masterpieces, all equally valuable. (C) is extreme.

(B) is the most supported since, as you note, it captures the general point of the passage. It's also the only answer choice that IS supported, in fact, for this reason. (And remember, process of elimination is how you want to approach all RC questions!) Even if the author doesn't state (B) explicitly, we're looking for an INFERENCE here, not something that is directly stated. (This is an inference question, not an identification question.)

(A) isn't supported, and if anything, is contradicted; people are appreciating Joy Parfum less, not more.

(D) is incorrect because the passage isn't about people with varying levels of taste, or taste at all.

(E) is incorrect because other perfumes of the 1930s aren't discussed.

Hope this helps!