irenewerwerwer
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Q5 - Gilbert: This food label is mistaken

by irenewerwerwer Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:48 pm

I narrow down to C and E then choose E out of gut feeling. The exact flaw of C still confused me.

Is it because the chemical aa in C("made from sugarcane") contradicts with aa mentioned by Gilbert("contain aa that are chemically synthesized by the company at their plant")?

Although it looks obvious but it is tempting to me during timed preptest.

Could any one throw some thoughts? Thanks in advance!

gilad.bendheim
Thanks Received: 21
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q5 - Gilbert: This food label is mistaken

by gilad.bendheim Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am

If the label had been printed before the switch, then that undermines Sabina's point. She is saying that the label is not mistaken. But if a label is being placed on an item that it was not designed for and has a different composition, then of course it is mistaken!

Here's an analogy:
Larry: This food label is mistaken because it says it is Decaf but clearly it has caffeine. Look - I'm all jittery!

Susie: It is not wrong. Even decaf has a tiny bit of caffeine in it.

Would an answer choice that says 'the decaf label was printed before the coffee maker switched to only making caffeinated coffee' help support Susie? No, because obviously a decaf label on caffeinated coffee is mistaken.

irenewerwerwer
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Re: Q5 - gilbert: this food label is mistaken

by irenewerwerwer Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Sorry but I still don't see why C incorrect:

since the label claims including only natural ingredients but Gilbert finds it contain aa synthesized the company, therefore it not wholly natural--the label is mistaken.

Then if the label is printed before switching from natural sugar to synthesized aa--then the label is not mistaken: it indeed includes natural sugar then? Therefore strengthens Sabina's claim. But it has nothing to do with "aa also found in natural sugarcane".

yoohoo081
Thanks Received: 9
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

This post thanked 2 times.

by yoohoo081 Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 pm

irenewerwerwer Wrote:Sorry but I still don't see why C incorrect:

since the label claims including only natural ingredients but Gilbert finds it contain aa synthesized the company, therefore it not wholly natural--the label is mistaken.

Then if the label is printed before switching from natural sugar to synthesized aa--then the label is not mistaken: it indeed includes natural sugar then? Therefore strengthens Sabina's claim. But it has nothing to do with "aa also found in natural sugarcane".

I'm going to see if this clears up your confusion.
1. so, label was printed BEFORE the cookie company switched. That means, Gilbert's right. Cookies DO have synthesized ingredient and NOT ONLY NATURAL INGREDIENT. does it matter if it was printed before the switch or not? The fact is, the cookies now DO have this synthesized ingredient. Yes,it may not have in the past, but it does,so it actually strengthens Gilbert's argument.

2. Sabina says found occuring "NATURALLY in sugarcane".
Gilbert says " ONLY NATURAL INGREDIENT"
Those two statements are quite different if you look at it. So, if you take a look at E, it covers those two aspects and connects that "All substances that do occur NATURALLY are considered NATURAL." (which supports Sabina's- aa is NATURALLY occuring in sugarcane, so it's natural)

Hope that helped!

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Great discussion you two! I'm just going to share my thoughts on this one, let me know what you think!

We'd like to Strengthen Sabina's argument that the label is not mistaken. The evidence offered is that the chemical - though produced synthetically - occurs naturally. Is an ingredient natural if it occurs naturally but is synthetically produced in the present case. Answer choice (E) addresses this question by implying that it would be a natural ingredient - and so the conclusion would be supported.

Lets look at the incorrect answers:

(A) doesn't suggest whether the label is mistaken, because the argument was about the one label and the one box of cookies. The issue is whether the one box of cookies has the chemically synthesized acids - wow that sounds terrible for cookies!
(B) is irrelevant. We don't care if there are other chemicals not used as ingredients. We're talking about these acids that are used as ingredients in the cookies.
(C) addresses whether the label was deceptively intended or whether the label was incorrectly printed, but does not address whether it correctly identifies the ingredients in the cookies contained with that label.
(D) is irrelevant. Those could be mistakenly labeled as well.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have further questions on this one!

Joetrot88
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

Re: Q5 - Gilbert: This food label is mistaken

by Joetrot88 Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 pm

If you re-arrange answer choice E.. life becomes easier..

Think of E as this:

All substances are considered natural, EXCEPT the substances that DO NOT occur naturally in any source.

The reason answer choice (E) is correct is because sugarcane IS in fact natural(aka does occur naturally), therefore Sabina's response to Gilbert is strengthened.

And by strengthened I mean the label is in fact not mistaken because we now know the alphahydroxy acids are derived from a natural source. This information also in turn destroys Gibert's argument.

better? :D