Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q5 - Futurist: Artists in the next century

by tzyc Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:33 am

After I read the stimulus, I felt the principle would be something like;
If you want to do well as an artist in future, you should not go against the patrons; do not express social and political doctrines that are subversive of them.
But when I look at the correct answer, it does not completely match what I expected...did I simplicate it too much or did I not catch the principle correctly?
Thanks.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q5 - Futurist: Artists in the next century

by timmydoeslsat Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Your principle is probably one that artists should indeed follow!

But for the purpose of this argument, we want a principle that will help justify our conclusion, which is a prediction: art in the next century will contain rarely social and political ideas that differ from the social order.

What evidence is given for that claim?

In the next century, artists will largely be supported by private patrons, and these patrons will be supporting the social order.

So when you look at this in your mind, you have:

In the next century, artists will largely be supported by private patrons, and these patrons will be supporting the social order.

We want a principle that helps us believe that art will not attack these ideas. Couldn't these private patrons still support a stockpile or artists that attack the social order they believe in?

This is what answer choice (A) gets at.

Patrons tend to not support artists that go against what the patrons believe.

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q5 - Futurist: Artists in the next century

by demetri.blaisdell Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

Great job explaining this, timmydoeslsat. I'll add one thing:

Another instructor here always says: "principle support questions are just assumption questions with egos." It looks like you might have been focused on something other than the argument core and the gap. Use the same process as an ordinary assumption question but expect the answer to be slightly more general (or grandiose). If you're having trouble seeing the gap, focus in on the conclusion and premise and read like a debater.

Thank you both for posting. Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

Demetri