Q4

ttunden
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q4

by ttunden Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:33 pm

I got this question right but it literally took me way too long. Must have spent around a minute or 45 seconds on it.

My prephase was Thunderstorms because that is what was explicitly mentioned in the passage. I didn't see thunderstorm as one of the answers, but I noticed that answer choices A B and E are stated right next to the example of a metaphor from Cortez.

I didn't know what to do since it did not meet my prephase of thunderstorm. The author uses another example afterward and I wasn't sure if that 2nd example from Kiansis was another metaphor or just that same metaphor being used again.

Luckily, I picked B but it was more of an educated guess since it was mentioned right next to the thunder storm.

Can any of the Manhattan Staff please explain and help me out? Stampedes and cattle drive are mentioned in the following example which uses the storm imagery "thunder" which the author says is a metaphor(line 30)
Last edited by ttunden on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q4

by maryadkins Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 am

So the key here is to read carefully in this section to figure out what is being called a metaphor and what isn't. Yes, stampedes and cattle drives are mentioned but they aren't mentioned as metaphors—they are description of what is being described in a discussion about how storm imagery is used as metaphor. "Mist" is included in the example of storm imagery; it's the other half of the coin of your pre-phrase.

You won't always prephrase correctly. Key is not to not to get stuck when that happens. Sometimes when you have to search, it'll take you longer than you expect.

CharlesT757
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by CharlesT757 Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm

When I was answering this question, I referenced my "mental map" and knew that the author was discussing metaphors in paragraph 2. I quickly looked at the metaphor example and knew that it was about thunderstorms, but thunderstorms was not an answer choice. Then I saw mist (B) and thought that was the answer.

After doing a blind review, I went against my intuition and chose (D) because the metaphor (Thunderstorms) was used to describe the fight, so I just assumed it was fight (D).

I think the takeaway is understanding that this is an informative passage and if you have a good mental map of the passage, you should trust your intuition when answering these questions!

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Laura Damone Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Agreed! Nice work on that blind review!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep