Q4

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q4

by shirando21 Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:43 pm

I can eliminate A and E, but having difficulty distinguishing BCD.
especially C.

can anyone explain why D is the correct answer and others are not?

Thanks.

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q4

by demetri.blaisdell Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 pm

This is a local inference question. We need to read the text of paragraph 2 closely to figure out how the author would describe a hypothetical measure to block the internet.

(D) is the answer. In lines 24-25, the author describes blocking the internet as a "draconian measure." Looks good.

Wrong answers:

(A) is contradicted. The author is against such a measure so she isn't going to focus on the benefits.

(B) is out of scope entirely. "Decidedly" has no relevant meaning without another word for it to modify.

(C) looks good at first. Lines 24-28 make it clear that such a measure would be unpopular. But that's not the author's opinion! That's the opinion of the affected citizens. A close reading of the question stem tells us we're looking for what the author thinks.

(E) is a somewhat negative side. But "risks" isn't an adjective. Even if we change it to "risky," the author doesn't say this. The author says the benefits of the internet outweigh its risk---not that the benefits of blocking the internet outweigh the risks.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Demetri