Q4

peg_city
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Re: Q4

by peg_city Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 pm

If someone could explain to me where I can find E in the stimulus.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Line 27 onward notes that national service goes beyond necessary defense of the nation.

And, lines 36 - 40 discusses the right to tax for more than just protecting the nation.

Then, in lines 44 - 54 the author points out that the military has roles beyond basic protection of society and suggests that opponents of national service must expand their idea of necessary beyond essential protection.

(A) is out of scope - no discussion of whether citizens help bring about anything.
(B) is the opposite of what the author believes.
(C) is unsupported - there's no discussion of degrees of sacrifice.
(D) is the opposite of what the author believes.

Nina
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Nina Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am

hey, i understand why E is correct, but find D still a little bit confusing. line 36-38 says the taxation "granted legitimate intrusions on the right to property", and therefore, although compulsory national service has been accused as "interference in the lives of its citizens", this interference is also legitimized.
thus D also seems reasonable. (i think i might have wrongly inferred something here.)

any help? thanks in advance!

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

Nina Wrote:hey, i understand why E is correct, but find D still a little bit confusing. line 36-38 says the taxation "granted legitimate intrusions on the right to property", and therefore, although compulsory national service has been accused as "interference in the lives of its citizens", this interference is also legitimized.
thus D also seems reasonable. (i think i might have wrongly inferred something here.)

any help? thanks in advance!

This is a great question that reflects some very refined review of your work (because you brought up text that seems to support another answer).

I think the issue with (D) is that the section you're referring to is all framed by "If it is granted..." So, that indicates the author is entertaining the idea to make a point. It's similar to this: "OK, OK, let's just accept for a moment that aliens have landed. Why the heck would we then conclude that they've infiltrated our government?"

Another issue I see is that (D) includes a reference to overstepping boundaries and that section is actually about how the interference is warranted. That's different than "the overstepping of boundaries" is warranted. Perhaps the interference is within the boundaries.

Overall, with this sort of answer, while you do want to be detail-oriented, you also want to keep your eye on the big picture of the author's position. Does the author think compulsory service is overstepping gov't boundaries? Nope.