Q4

daijob
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q4

by daijob Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:05 am

Hello,

So I found lines for the wrong answers but not for the correct answer (I thought there would be contradiction).
For those EXCEPT questions, we only need to find the parts of the wrong answers?
I thought this is really time consuming...
For LR, it's usually they have something untrue, but for RC, it is not necessarily like that?

Thank you

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q4

by ohthatpatrick Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:03 pm

I see your confusion ... it seems like the leftover answer would be "false, according to the passage", but there is also just the possibility that the passage makes no comment on a subject.

For example, consider this idea:
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was printed on 3-hole punched paper."

Is that true, according to the passage?
Certainly not, but only because the passage never commented on it.

In general, think about Inference EXCEPT as, "I need to eliminate the four answers I can prove are there."

There is a different RC question stem that is fishing for an idea that goes AGAINST the passage ... they ask, "Which of the following is LEAST compatible?" (for that question type, you won't necessarily find SUPPORT for the four other answers, you'll just find anti-support for the correct answer)

=== complete explanation ===

For this Identification-Information EXCEPT question, we just have to tick off the four answer choices that map to line references in the passage.

(A) 43-44
(B) line 7 and 29
(C) 27-29
(D) easy tip-off that this is a bad Inference is the extreme word "NO practical consequences". And, in fact, 50-52 pretty much contradict it.
(E) 5-6

D is the answer.
The easy tip-off that (D) is a stinky inference is that