Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q4 - Editorialist: In a large corporation

by ohthatpatrick Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

What does the Question Stem tell us?
Strengthen

Break down the Stimulus:
Conclusion: President must keep profits high.
Evidence: President must promote key interests of shareholders.

Any prephrase?
There's a pretty glaring term shift between "promoting key interests of shareholders" and "keeping profits high". Given that this is an early (hopefully easy) question, we should probably just look for an answer that shows there's some connection there.

Correct answer:
C

Answer choice analysis:
A) Keeping dividends high is not the same as keeping profits high.

B) The board of directors is out of scope; this just adds more evidence to the premise. Still haven't heard about keeping profits high.

C) This is gives us some connection between promoting key interests and keeping profits high.

D) This almost weakens by making "high profits" seem LESS essential to the key interests of shareholders.

E) This is totally unhelpful, and, again, it tells us nothing about "keeping profits high".

Takeaway/Pattern: In the Assumption family, there are bridge answers (ones that "connect the dots", or undermine the connection, between ideas already mentioned) and defender/objection answers (ones that bring in NEW considerations that may be relevant). When there is a new, key term in the Conclusion that was never discussed in the Evidence, we can prephrase a bridge answer that connects this New Conclusion Idea to whatever its closest intended match was in the Evidence.

#officialexplanation

hyewonkim89
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q4 - Editorialist: In a large corporation

by hyewonkim89 Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:25 pm

I was still not so confident when I picked (C) for this question.

I was able to pick the right answer because I could eliminate the others.

But (C) still seems reverse to me. I thought the answer would be 'promoting the key interests of the shareholders is likely to keep the corporation's profits high.'

Will someone help me understand how (C) strengthens the argument?

Thanks in advance!