Q3

coco.wu1993
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q3

by coco.wu1993 Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 am

I don't quite understand why A is better than B. B seems to be a better paraphrase of line 9-13: "define the limits of people's actions with respect to other people". Where is "obligation" in A coming from? Thanks in advance!

wellsj24
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q3

by wellsj24 Mon May 26, 2014 8:25 pm

coco.wu1993 Wrote:I don't quite understand why A is better than B. B seems to be a better paraphrase of line 9-13: "define the limits of people's actions with respect to other people". Where is "obligation" in A coming from? Thanks in advance!

I'm not an instructor but I did this section a couple days ago and think I can help.

(B) is not a good answer because it does not characterize the author's view of the social agreement. B is more in tune with the "opponents" who the author says misunderstand the "social agreement." The author says that individual liberties can only be talked about in the context of certain communal obligations that we all have to one another.

Whereas "opponents" try to characterize the situation as one where infringing on liberties in unacceptable at all times, the author's point is to say that you don't have unfettered personal freedom - instead you have certain mandatory obligations such as paying taxes. This more nuanced view is evident in answer choice (A). This is also more consistent with the author invoking "shared sacrifice" and sharing burdens.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q3

by maryadkins Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Good discussion, thanks for the answer. I think that's a good explanation. Just to add to it, (B) is saying that people won't infringe on each other's personal liberty. That's not what the author means. The author means freedom is limited by obligations TO each other, not an overall obligation not to infringe on each other.

As for the others:

(C) is out of scope.
(D) brings in "details" which isn't discussed in this part.
(E) is extreme and unsupported.