Q3

Nina
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q3

by Nina Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

i did this one right during my timed PT but i still have some problem regarding the wording "could be" off stage.

we know that when J is on stage, L "must be" off stage, thus i thought only the free elements "H and K" can fall into the category of "could be off stage". am i thinking too much here?

Thanks for help!

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q3

by tommywallach Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Nina,

So I made my own diagram for this, using our usual presentation version of a closed conditional grouping such as this one, just so we have it up here.

However, I think your issue is more about the question's wording. The short answer is that, yes, you are overthinking it. Simply ask this question: "Could Lorena be offstage?" The answer is yes. Now, we know this is because she must be off-stage, but the answer is still yes (it certainly isn't no!").

Trust that they'll be much more clear if they want to play that kind of game. They'd perhaps say something like: "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the dancers who might be on or off stage when Jaclyn is on stage?"

Good luck!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by tommywallach Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Here's that diagram!

-t
Attachments
PT54, G1 Diagram -Dancers on Stage - ManhattanLSAT.pdf
(66.57 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

khaleesiwantstodolaw
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by khaleesiwantstodolaw Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Nina Wrote:i did this one right during my timed PT but i still have some problem regarding the wording "could be" off stage.

we know that when J is on stage, L "must be" off stage, thus i thought only the free elements "H and K" can fall into the category of "could be off stage". am i thinking too much here?

Thanks for help!

When I did this game, I made two columns. An off column and an on column. For this question, I started off by putting J in the On column, and like you correctly inferred that puts L in the off column. However when you put J in the on column, it also triggers condition number 3 via the contrapositive (When F is off - J is off, and its contrapositive when J is on - F is on). Also, since J is a woman (and in the On column) this also puts G in the On column. So now we have J, G, and F in the On column and L in the Off column. This leaves us with H and K since they don't have any conditions binding them down. So they can either each or both be in the On column or in the Off column. Which is why together - H, K, and L make up the complete and accurate list of the dancers any of who could be off stage when J is on stage.

Hope this helps!

lugar.choi
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by lugar.choi Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:29 pm

So I have established that

On: J, F, G
Off: L

And since H and K can go either on or off, why can't (C) be the answer?

For example,

On: J, F, G, K
Off: L, H