Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q3

by LSAT-Chang Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:03 pm

What is wrong with answer choice B?? It seems like the third paragraph is all about "fairness". I was down to A and B, but thought that B was a better principle that illustrated the third paragraph.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q3

by giladedelman Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for your post! There is a good lesson to be learned here: check EVERY word in the answer choice before choosing it.

(B) is tempting, sure, because it mentions fairness, but it goes off the rail once it starts talking about how judges must be extremely thorough. Quite simply, the paragraph (indeed the whole passage) has nothing to do with how judges need to perform their jobs. So this is totally out of scope.

(A) is correct because the argument here is that unanimity, which is a strong requirement, should not be abandoned, because it reduces the chances of an unfair/unjust outcome. So the risk of such an outcome is evidently serious enough to justify the strong measure of unanimity.

As for the others:

(C) is too extreme; the passage doesn't suggest that unjust verdicts can be eliminated.

(D) is unsupported; the passage doesn't indicate that some citizens perform irresponsibly.

(E) is likewise unsupported; the passage doesn't suggest that the jury system is "inherently flawed."

Does that help?

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:16 pm

YES! That definitely helped! I can't believe I fell for the second half of the answer choice "judges must be extremely thorough in order to ensure it" this is so out of scope -- this always happens to me! I read an answer choice and I always fall for those answer choices that are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong, and so I try to persuade myself that the other half is just right. (A) is definitely a much better answer than (B). Thank you! :)

bigtree65
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

by bigtree65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Lines 40-45: "innocent ppl are already occasionally convicted - perhaps in some cases because jurors presume that anyone who has been been brought to trial is probably guilty..." isn't this showing that the jury can behave irresponsibly and direct support for D?

SecondWind180
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by SecondWind180 Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 am

bigtree65 Wrote:Lines 40-45: "innocent ppl are already occasionally convicted - perhaps in some cases because jurors presume that anyone who has been been brought to trial is probably guilty..." isn't this showing that the jury can behave irresponsibly and direct support for D?

Correct. However, the ¶ says nothing about "Safeguards that must be put into place".

doylemurphy89
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by doylemurphy89 Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

bigtree65 Wrote:Lines 40-45: "innocent ppl are already occasionally convicted - perhaps in some cases because jurors presume that anyone who has been been brought to trial is probably guilty..." isn't this showing that the jury can behave irresponsibly and direct support for D?

I got down to A and D and ended up choosing A but I considered D a lot more when I reviewed this. The "perhaps in some cases" is the problem because the author is giving an example of a reason for people being wrongly convicted but we don't know for sure if some jurors actually do assume the defendant is guilty, just that it could be an explanation.

WaltGrace1983
Thanks Received: 207
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by WaltGrace1983 Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:08 pm

I think the red flag for (D) is the "safeguards must be put in place." The author DOES NOT in ANY WAY want safeguards for jury trials. In fact, the author basically thinks that we shouldn't touch the system ("if it isn't broken, don't fix it").

WeitaoZ991
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by WeitaoZ991 Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

WaltGrace1983 Wrote:I think the red flag for (D) is the "safeguards must be put in place." The author DOES NOT in ANY WAY want safeguards for jury trials. In fact, the author basically thinks that we shouldn't touch the system ("if it isn't broken, don't fix it").

Isn't the unanimity requirement a safeguard?