Q3

olaizola.mariana
Thanks Received: 2
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q3

by olaizola.mariana Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Why is (B) not a valid answer? I ruled out (C) because it seemed too narrow in only citing "standards of evaluation." After all, paragraph 3 states that "the emergence of feminist literary criticism was crucial" to generating recent acclaim (lines 46-47).

I ultimately chose (B) because it was sufficiently vague in citing "feminist critics and authors" to allow room for those who introduced a new standard of evaluation. Can't we say (B) is more comprehensive in this sense?

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q3

by andrewgong01 Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm

olaizola.mariana Wrote:Why is (B) not a valid answer? I ruled out (C) because it seemed too narrow in only citing "standards of evaluation." After all, paragraph 3 states that "the emergence of feminist literary criticism was crucial" to generating recent acclaim (lines 46-47).

I ultimately chose (B) because it was sufficiently vague in citing "feminist critics and authors" to allow room for those who introduced a new standard of evaluation. Can't we say (B) is more comprehensive in this sense?

My reasoning, for anyone who might still be interested for choosing C over B

Prephrase: Explain why this novel was relegated from society and why it has remerged again

A) Most likley factually true since it did seem like the novel was different in that it did not talk about racism like other African American pieces; however, not the main point

B) This is factually true but not the main point because it is too narrow. If we were to say this is the main point, then we must also say that the use of African American folklore lens played a role too because it was weighted as "Equally important" with the use of the feminist literacy criticism lens

C) This is correct because it covers both aspects our prephrase, albeit imperfectly. It states that critics were at first unable to fully enjoy the work and that recently new lens of criticisms have increased the appreciation of the work.

D) IF anything this is the opposite because the novel fell out of favor in the 1950s. Also, not the main point as it is no where close to our prephrase

E) This is not the main point because this answer choice makes it seem like the novel was brought up as an example to prove a wider point when the passage was focused on this specific author+ novel.