Thanks Received: 135
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q3 - Reviewer: Almost all books that offer

by mshinners Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Question Type:
Sufficient Assumption

Stimulus Breakdown:
Management books are written from CEO POV. But most managers aren't CEOs. That's a problem.

Answer Anticipation:
Is it? Could a manager benefit from thinking through a CEO's point of view? Sure, so there's the flaw in the argument. The correct answer here will say that a book from the CEO's POV can't be useful to managers.

Correct answer:
(D)

Answer choice analysis:
(A) Out of scope. It doesn't matter what these books rarely do. It matters if what they do is useful or not.

(B) Out of scope. It may be harsh, but I don't care about the readers' hopes and dreams! (Well, I care about yours, dear reader.) This answer doesn't guarantee they'd benefit from reading advice targeted to CEOs since I don't know if that helps their aspirations.

(C) Out of scope. This answer talks about CEOs, when I need to connect the advice given in the books to the managers reading them.

(D) Bingo. My initial paraphrase was more extreme than this ("can't be useful"), so I'd check the conclusion again to be sure it matches. It does. This connects the perspective to the usefulness.

(E) Perception vs. reality. The conclusion is about whether or not the books are actually useful, not whether or not managers think they'll be useful. The conclusion also doesn't care if the managers prefer these books; just whether the books are useful.

Takeaway/Pattern:
Underline the conclusion while working through a question! Here, doing so would let me quickly check an answer I liked if I thought there might have been a degree shift.

#officialexplanation