Q27

nflamel69
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q27

by nflamel69 Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 pm

what's the difference between C and E? Is C wrong because it says it settled an ongoing debate? because it is not ongoing? or did it not settle an debate?

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

Re: Q27

by demetri.blaisdell Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks for your question. I think you are exactly right in looking at (C) and (E).

If the answer were (C), we'd expect to hear support for two different sides of an argument. "Some scholars say constitution has only one meaning, while others say the American and English traditions defined the term differently." But the passage doesn't do that. The passage never acknowledges any disagreement by scholars or historians. Instead, it presents an explanation for the different approach to constitutions in England and America.

(E) gives us that in general language. The aspect of the relationship is something like "political theories about written constitutions."

The other wrong answers are pretty weak:

(A) is narrow scope. It refers to a misunderstanding which seems to be referenced in lines 5-13. But that's clearly not the main point of the passage. The misunderstanding might have existed in the 18th century but it isn't still around.

(B) is out of scope. What treatment?

(D) is also narrow in scope. There are a few events, but the main point is definitely not to interpret the events leading up to anything. This also doesn't really address the passage's discussion of the English meaning of the word constitution.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Demetri