tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q26

by tzyc Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 am

I have a question about this and kind of related to Q28...
In the passage the author says "public announcement seems insufficient".
So the author does not disagree with (actually agrees with) the idea that profession/professional means confess or public announcement, but s/he thinks it's just not enough, correct?
So the answer for Q28 is C because s/he largely criticizes several def constitutes a profession...
For this question, at first I thought E is wrong because the author seems disagree with the idea that profession is confession but thinks profession is more concrete action...
What's the difference between just confess devotion (L22) and confess devotion to a way of life?(L61) :|

Thank you

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q26

by rinagoldfield Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey TZ,

Good question. I think you’re on point when you say that "the author does not disagree with (actually agrees with) the idea that profession/professional means confess or public announcement, but s/he thinks it's just not enough, correct?"

The author believes that a profession:

is a public announcement of devotion (lines 21-22, 60-62)
is in service to "some high good" such as truth, justice, or health (lines 50-55, 64).

So there’s actually no difference between confessing devotion (line 22) and confessing devotion (line 61). Confessing devotion to a field is NECESSARY but NOT SUFFICIENT to being a professional. A professional confesses devotion to a noble and morally lofty field.

In terms question 28: this question specifically concerns lines 18-42. Here the author dismisses the notion that a profession is MERELY a confession of devotion as well as the notion that a profession is the pursuit of knowledge. (C) is supported for this reason.

(E) is narrow. The author mentions plumbing and auto repair on line 24, but these professions are hardly the main purpose of the 24-line spread the question asks us to evaluate.

Hope that helps!

WaltGrace1983
Thanks Received: 207
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by WaltGrace1983 Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:47 am

I have some questions about #26. First of all, am I supposed to read these types of questions ("the author's attitude is best described as...") as more general than specific? Thus, the more general and main-point-worthy the answer choice is the better? This is, of course, unless the question is referring to something specific.

Also, are these eliminations okay?:

(A) "new perspective" - this is problematic because the "perspective" that the author is trying to diminish is really itself the NEW perspective. Physicians are generally treated as professionals but SOME people are saying that they should be treated as tradespeople.

(B) "demoralized" is a bit too strong. The passage isn't so intense.

(C) Seems to be too specific and the element of surprise is not really alluded to.

(D) Not true. No indication of this.

I think (E) is the best because it captures one of the main points of the passage, that professionals engage "character and heart, not merely mind and hands"

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by rinagoldfield Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Great work, Walt. You should approach this type of author’s opinion question more generally (unless the question points to something really specific).

I overall agree with your analysis. I’ll just add that I think “eager” in choice (A) is too strong. The author strikes a more academic tone than “eagerness” would indicate.

Best,
Rina