Q26

gplaya123
Thanks Received: 15
Forum Guests

Q26

by gplaya123 Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Now I think about it A is definitely the answer but..

I really didn't like E due to its strong language...

I mean available "only" to a particular person seems too radical...

any thoughts?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q26

by ohthatpatrick Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:27 pm

You're wise to be nervous about extreme language, but we would support (E) with lines 23-25.

"Knowledge, they argue, relies on the data of experience, which includes subjective experience."

'Subjective experience' refers to our internal experience of the world. It is accurate to say that my internal experience of the world is available ONLY to me.

This is an unusual justification of an extreme word --- normally we'd find some extreme word in the passage that matches up with the "only".

Here, it's really more about the meaning of what subjective experience is/means.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have lingering qualms.

cyt5015
Thanks Received: 6
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by cyt5015 Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:28 pm

I cannot find sentence to support answer D. I thought the philosophers believe the objective evidence is not a part of experience at all. Please help!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:31 pm

The support for (D) is actually the same as the support for (E), lines 23-24.

"Knowledge, they argue, relies on the data of experience, which includes subjective experience."

Like (E), (D) does not match up specifically with the words said, so you really have to think about the meaning of what's being talked about.

When you say that one category includes another, you're indicating that the latter is a subset of the former.

"Diana is fondest of the primate family, which includes chimpanzees" ... this indicates that chimpanzees are a subset of primates, and it also conveys that there are other members of the primate family beyond chimpanzees (i.e. there are non-chimpanzees in the primate family).

So lines 23-24 are saying that subjective experience is a subset of the overall data of experience. This tells us that the overall data of experience includes subjective experience and non-subjective (i.e. objective) experience.

You can also hear this in lines 25-27 ... these philosophers are saying "why should we reduce the sources of knowledge to ONLY objective ones"?

These philosophers aren't saying that objective knowledge is dumb or worthless. They're saying that subjective knowledge is ALSO legitimate and valuable.

So that's all that (D) is expressing: objective knowledge isn't EVERYTHING. There's also subjective knowledge.

=== other answers ===
(A) There's no support for the idea that these philosophers specifically recommend the subjective approach when it comes to studying nerve impulses. This is way too specific a claim, and we have no support for that. Hence, this is the correct answer.

(B) Lines 20-22 support this.

(C) Lines 23-27 support this.

(D) Lines 23-24 support this.

sonssi13
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by sonssi13 Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:04 am

too late

but didn't answer (E) come directly from the first paragraph, line 9~10?

"instead of investigating private evidence perceivably only to a particular individual..", which supports (E).