Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Q25 - Zachary: The term "fresco" refers

by theaether Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

I went with C initially, because I thought that someone disagreeing with another person would surely follow up with his own, different, conclusion.

Am I wrong here because I'm jumping the gun, in that something like in "A" should come BEFORE "C?"

Also another question I had is I found these answer choices to all be really generic and confusing, and time sinks, because I had to plug in the assumed premise/conclusion/key term/assumption for when the answer choice talks about each of those. Is there some good way of tackling these types of answer choices? If a method is available in the Atlas LR book, please direct me to the page number. I'm only 1/3 or 1/2 through the book so far.

thanks

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q25 - Zachary: The term "fresco" refers

by bbirdwell Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't have a book handy with a page number. These questions are covered in the chapter(s) called Analyze the Argument Questions, which could include this type and a couple of others. We call them Identify the Disagreement.

They conclusions will not always explicitly disagree. Sometimes they arrive at the same conclusion from different angles. And sometimes there's a slightly subtler mechanism at play.

First look core of Zach's argument:
Conclusion:
to make the chapel the way M intended it to be, everything but original must be stripped away.

Premises:
1. once dried, fresco preserves a certain way.
2. additions to chapel made by other painters have obscured M's work

Then consider Stephen's statement: sometimes artists added details to their own stuff later.

This is an interesting variation on this kind of problem, because the overlap is not obvious. Clearly, Stephen doesn't take issue with either of Zach's premises -- he doesn't change the definition of the word "fresco," nor does he argue that other painters have NOT obscured M's work.

So we're left with Zach's conclusion. Let's take another look:
to restore to M's intention, everything but original must be stripped away.

Stephen suggests that some artists add to their own work AFTER the original has dried.

He doesn't necessarily draw a different conclusion than Zach. He does, however, question an assumption in Zach's argument.
That's why (A) is correct and (C) is not.

What assumption is that, you say?

Notice how Zach's conclusion suggests that M did not add anything to his own work after the original plaster was laid down. Stephen is basically saying "Wait a minute! Sometimes artists added to their own work later, so it's possible that by stripping everything but the original, we'll take away something M put up there himself!"

Does that make sense?
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

juitty
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

question

by juitty Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 am

hi

i have some question?

Why (D) is wrong?

I thought Stephen was denying the truth of premises of Zuch
( additions know to have been made by later painters~)
Because Stephen was thinking Michelangelo himself painted the addition, therefore did not obscured the original fresco work...

I need some explanation thanks ^^

griffin.811
Thanks Received: 43
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: question

by griffin.811 Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm

juitty Wrote:hi

i have some question?

Why (D) is wrong?

Because Stephen was thinking Michelangelo himself painted the addition, therefore did not obscured the original fresco work...

Hey Juitty,

The issue with D primarily is that the language it uses is much too strong!

Take another look Stephen's response. He never actually says that the additions to the chapel were not done by other painters (which would deny the truth of a premise), rather he SUGGESTS that MAYBE Michelangelo was the one that added the additions. This is synonomous with "calling into question..." as A describes.

If Stephen's response said something like "but it wasn't other painters that made the additions, it was Michaelangelo" this would be a DENIAL of one of Zachary's truths. He would have needed to explicitly say Michaelangelo was responsible for the additions, rather than leaving open the possibility that it may have been other painters.

SimahA894
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by SimahA894 Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am

really need to know why E is wrong!!! please! i get why A is the answer but point out how E is wrong?

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Laura Damone Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi there!

E is wrong because Stephen doesn't demonstrate that Zachary's conclusion is inconsistent with his premise. "Inconsistent" means the two statements can't both be true. His premise is that additions known to have been made by later painters have obscured the original work done Michelangelo. Stephen raises the issue that painters of that era would often add details themselves. These statements can be both be true. It's possible that Michelangelo added to the work and that later painters did, too.

What Stephen really does is attack the link between Zachary's premise and his conclusion. If Michelangelo added to the work after it dried, stripping away everything but the original fresco wouldn't restore the paintings to the appearance that Michelangelo intended to have. In other words, it questions the assumption that the only additions to the work were those of other artists.

Hope this helps!
Laura
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep

AnnaF185
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: question

by AnnaF185 Thu May 26, 2022 1:50 pm

griffin.811 Wrote:
juitty Wrote:hi

i have some question?

Why (D) is wrong?

Hey Juitty,

The issue with D primarily is that the language it uses is much too strong!

Take another look Stephen's response. He never actually says that the additions to the chapel were not done by other painters (which would deny the truth of a premise), rather he SUGGESTS that MAYBE Michelangelo was the one that added the additions. This is synonomous with "calling into question..." as A describes.

If Stephen's response said something like "but it wasn't other painters that made the additions, it was Michaelangelo" this would be a DENIAL of one of Zachary's truths. He would have needed to explicitly say Michaelangelo was responsible for the additions, rather than leaving open the possibility that it may have been other painters.

To add: perhaps BOTH Michaelangelo and other painters added to the fresco. Stephen is simply presenting the possibility that Michaelangleo did add to his own fresco, which means that Zachary’s conclusion is false because some of these fresco-additions were intended by Michaelangelo. BOTH Zachary and Stephen might be correct — other painters and Michaelangelo did add to the fresco. However, Zachary’s conclusion relies on the assumption that Michaelangelo had no part to play in the fresco-additions. So Stephen is responding to this assumption.