sclw64
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q25 - University president: Our pool of applicants

by sclw64 Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 am

ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wrote:Ah! This one is definitely interesting!

The key word in answer choice (D) is "additional." It does not say that there is no alternative explanation, but rather that there is no additional explanation. If there were an additional explanation, the explanation offered by the university president could still be right and so the measures advocated would still be needed.

Hope that helps!

But if the additional explanation is right, then the 'raise tuition' will not be necessary since there is another way to increase applicant pool size. So I think the assumption is "There is no additional correct explanation for......"

hzj184
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by hzj184 Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 am

P: possible explanation: charge too little —> perceived quality issue —> decrease pool
C: Increase pool —> raise tuitions and fees

(A): the possible explanation applies: NOT decrease pool --> NOT charge too little (rephrase: Increase pool —> raise tuitions and fees)
(C): raise tuitions and fees —> increase pool
(D): No additional explanation doesn't mean the possible explanation of tuition applies

AbhistD667
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by AbhistD667 Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am

Let me know if you like my explanation for this question and this was my reasoning to arrive at correct answer in timed section as well.

Applicant pool is shrinking If we want increase the size of applicant pool
---> then we need to raise our tuition fee
+
One possible reason is we charge less tuition fee
due to which prospective students and their parents conclude
that institution is not as high as expensive ones

Now that one possible explanation for this phenomena has become a necessary condition to achieve an increase in size of applicant pool. There could be other explanation but they aren't necessary to achieve this. They might guarantee the outcome we want but aren't required to achieve the outcome.

B- We are not concerned with the quality of education
C- Increase in fee is required and won't guarantee as per the conclusion
D- Even if there are additional explanations they might not be necessary for the outcome.
E- None of our concern just like B

Negating A would destroy the argument hence is a necessary assumption.

Let me know if my reasoning is correct or not.

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by Laura Damone Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm

That's pretty good! One thing I suggest you tighten up is your stimulus work. The premise is that one possible explanation of the phenomenon is the low tuition. The conclusion is that we need to raise tuition. This assumes that the one possible explanation is in fact the explanation.
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep