tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q25

by tzyc Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:44 pm

First...I understand it talks about the relationship between carbohydrate and serotonin but in the paragraph it does not specifically say carbohydrate "intake" and the production of serotonin isn't it?
It may be a small issue but I think it confused me somehow...
(Or are they the same?)
And just wanted to double check...in the paragraph it says "speeds tryptophan's entry into the central nervous system" is this because there are more trypophan compared to other aminos correct?
And as for other answer choices...

A-although it says about the relationship between serotonin and carbohydrate, it does not provide overview of research.
B-It does not contrast the role of tryptophan and serotonin...serotonin was tryptophan.
C-It's not about how serotonin plays a role, rather how carbohydrate plays a role for influencing the production of serotonin
D-It does not explain this in this paragraph.

Did I see them correctly?

Thank you

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q25

by tommywallach Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 am

Hey Strawberry,

I know I've said this before, but I want to say it again. I don't know if you're just rushed when you're writing these questions, or if your English is problematic on that level, but I'd really encourage to try to write these questions grammatically, as opposed to writing them full of errors.

This is for two reasons:

1) Because I can't actually understand you. For example:

First...I understand it talks about the relationship between carbohydrate and serotonin but in the paragraph it does not specifically say carbohydrate "intake" and the production of serotonin isn't it?

I have no idea what your question is here. This needs to be multiple sentences. At the end, you say "isn't it?" but I don't know what you're referring. I don't know what the "it" is, and I don't know what you're asking if it "is".

2) You do have to write an essay on the LSAT, and if you're writing with this level of messiness there, you're going to get yourself a not very good score. Look at this forum as a way to practice your most grammatical English. I know we get very used to treating the internet in the same way as quick emails or text messages, but it's good practice to write grammatically here. Thanks!

Again, I don't understand any of your questions in your first two paragraphs, but your explanations of the wrong answers look great. The only thing I'd disagree with is answer choice (C). The problem is that we're discussing the role of serotonin in carbohydrate intake, not in the transmission of neural impulses.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:34 am

I know I need to practice my English and I'm doing every day...
You told me about the issue like 3 times and I start to feel hurt now...

I said "isnt it" as "right". Just wanted to double check whether my understanding is correct.
Is my understanding correct?

Could you just explain why the correct answer is correct then?

Thank you...

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey Strawberry,

Okay, I think I understand. "Intake" comes from "carbohydrates in an individual's diet". If it's in your diet, you're eating it (i.e. intake). "It is converted into serotonin" is the equivalent of production of serotonin.

I still don't understand your second question, but hopefully I've answered the first one!

-t

P.S. I certainly don't want to hurt your feelings, so I'm sorry if I did. However, I don't think this is just about speaking English. Even your punctuation is problematic. Try to end sentences with periods, rather than ellipses and question marks. In fact, you should almost never be using ellipses, though you place them everywhere. That'll help you both here on the forums and on your essay!
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com