Q25

vik
Thanks Received: 8
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q25

by vik Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 pm

For question 25, Ans C looks like a stretch. I chose B. What are the reasons for C? The first set of critics never said anything against reality.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q25

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm

In the first paragraph the author begins by introducing two directions of literary criticism and then puts Dostoyevsky on a 3rd direction. In lines 10-13 the author indicates the distinctions between Dostoyevsky and the first group which thought that art should stand high above the present and the everyday, and then with Dostoyovsky and the radical critics, who thought that art should be useful.

So the claim that "As a realist, he never doubted that reality was literature's crucial source," serves as the distinction between Dostoyevsky and the critics mentioned in question 25. If Dostoyevsky had a 3rd direction, then it's likely that he would suggest that these critics who wanted art to be separate from reality were incorrect, because as a realist he knew that reality was the foundation of literature - best expressed in answer choice (C).

Lets look at the incorrect answers on this one:

(A) should not position Dostoyevsky with these critics.
(B) should not position Dostoyevsky with these critics. You are correct that in outlining the two directions, these critics didn't address "reality" directly, though they did say that art stood high about the present and everyday (ie: reality). But when Dostoyevsky is contrasted with these critics, it is art's relationship to "reality" that becomes the issue.
(D) has Dostoyevsky's view incorrect. Dostoyevsky actually is the one that thought there was no difference between fantasy and reality.
(E) represents the distinction between the radical critics and Dostoyevsky, not the same group of critics this question is asking about.

Hope that helps!

vik
Thanks Received: 8
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by vik Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks, above you say
(A) should not position Dostoyevsky with these critics.
(B) should not position Dostoyevsky with these critics.

However, there can be views that Dost and these critics agree on. In a question like this, can we straightaway eliminate answer choices just because they begin with, "It is correct..."?

Maybe the view in (A) and (B) is one that Dost agrees on with these critics. Are you advising that, because as a whole the passage draws a distinction between Dost and these critics by placing them into separate groups, that I can straightaway eliminate any answers that suggest that Dost may agree with these critics, i.e., I should think in terms of the general terms of the entire passage and not the specific view in the ans choice?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Good question! It'd be easier to take the broader view, but no, I'm not advocating to only think broadly. For every policy that you make that says, "you should always do such and such," the LSAT has presented examples that don't conform.

When the author disagrees with another view in the passage, there may be room for concessions - places where the author agrees with the proponent of some view, even though the author disagrees on the big picture.

This sort of nuance would represent a top tier question. One that was designed for distinguishing students in the 170's from those in the 160's.

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Here's my take on the question:

25. (C)
Question Type: Inference (10-15)

For this inference question, it’s necessary to consider Dostoyevsky’s views on reality. Early in the passage, he is described as a "realist" who believes that reality is "literature’s crucial source." How would someone who believed that feel about people who think that art should stand high above the present and everyday? Clearly, Dostoyevsky would disagree. While he had a more complex view of reality than the radical critics, he did not think that reality ought to have been ignored by artists. (C) is correct.

(A) says that Dostoyevsky would agree with the critics in question. Mega-wrong.
(B) is wrong for the same reason as (A).
(D) correctly assumes that Dostoyevsky would disagree with the critics in question, but the reason given is incorrect. Dostoyevsky believed that the radical critics failed to distinguish correctly between reality and fantasy. His issue with the other critics (the first position listed in the passage) was that they ignored reality entirely.
(E) makes the same mistake as (D), imputing a theory of the radical critics to the first set of critics. The radical critics believed that art had to further some social end (and Dostoyevsky did disagree with them). But we are never told that the first set of critics believed the same thing.
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by shirando21 Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 pm

tommywallach Wrote:Here's my take on the question:

25. (C)
Question Type: Inference (10-15)

For this inference question, it’s necessary to consider Dostoyevsky’s views on reality. Early in the passage, he is described as a "realist" who believes that reality is "literature’s crucial source." How would someone who believed that feel about people who think that art should stand high above the present and everyday? Clearly, Dostoyevsky would disagree. While he had a more complex view of reality than the radical critics, he did not think that reality ought to have been ignored by artists. (C) is correct.

(A) says that Dostoyevsky would agree with the critics in question. Mega-wrong.
(B) is wrong for the same reason as (A).
(D) correctly assumes that Dostoyevsky would disagree with the critics in question, but the reason given is incorrect. Dostoyevsky believed that the radical critics failed to distinguish correctly between reality and fantasy. His issue with the other critics (the first position listed in the passage) was that they ignored reality entirely.
(E) makes the same mistake as (D), imputing a theory of the radical critics to the first set of critics. The radical critics believed that art had to further some social end (and Dostoyevsky did disagree with them). But we are never told that the first set of critics believed the same thing.

I like your explanation for D. Thanks, Tommy.

redskateboard
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

by redskateboard Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:39 am

I didn't feel comfortable eliminating choices based on where it said correct or incorrect. I think the passage leaves that a bit open. Anyway, you can still get to the same answer.

We know that these critics say art is about the present and everyday

A) We know very little about what these critics believe. This requirement is not supported by the text.
B) Do these critics recognize this? I don't know but it's not mentioned in the text.
D) Does it make this distinction? I don't know but it's not supported by the text.
E) Does it insist this? Not supported either