Q24

wj097
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q24

by wj097 Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 am

I crossed out (D) as soon as I read line 15-16 (The important feature of this relationship was not the benefit to hollywood, but rather to the press). With such description right before "cultural x-fertilization" how can "mutually beneficial relation" possibly be an answer...

Thx

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q24

by bbirdwell Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 am

The lines you're referring to are just emphasis that the writer is placing on one side of the "cross-fertilizing" that's taking place; the author is more interested in the press than in Hollywood.

Note that what follows the line in question is a definition of cross-fertilization: the press benefited from the studio.

That's (D).

And the rest of the paragraph supports this as well. The press published gossip about stars, "whetting the public's appetite" for the films, and then the press benefited from the studios. Cross-fertilization. Mutual benefit.

Hope that helps.
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

ascripa
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by ascripa Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 am

Hi - I have a followup question on this one: I was choosing between (D) and (E) and I definitely see the mutual benefit referred to in (D). However, I ultimately chose (E) because I thought it fit better in the sentence. Can you explain specifically why (E) is not a good answer?

Yu440
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by Yu440 Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:05 pm

ascripa Wrote:Hi - I have a followup question on this one: I was choosing between (D) and (E) and I definitely see the mutual benefit referred to in (D). However, I ultimately chose (E) because I thought it fit better in the sentence. Can you explain specifically why (E) is not a good answer?

Yes I have the same question. Is it because it's more about the film studios rather than the public relations agents? Thanks

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

by ohthatpatrick Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm

In its local context, the cultural cross-fertilization is getting at the idea that "the press saw that they could profit from studios' promotion of films". The beginning of that sentence sort of establishes that "While it's obvious that the Hollywood benefits from this promotional zeal ... the important feature of this relationship was the surprising benefit received by the press".

(E) is referring to something said in the previous sentence. There were interactions between public relations agents and the press ... leading to more public curiosity in the lives of movie stars ... leading to more success for star-driven movies and, unexpectedly, to more success for the press itself.

That last bit is labeled cultural cross-fertilization in lines 14-19.

The first bit is farther upstream, and was not labeled by the passage as cultural cross-fertilization.