Q24

jkofxujing
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q24

by jkofxujing Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi, I chose E for this question.

When reviewing, I can see why B is correct and the support is in Line 45. As for E, is it wrong because Garcia did not mention "political protest" in the passage? I thought it can also be supported by Line 47-50.

Thanks for confirming!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 4 times.

Re: Q24

by ohthatpatrick Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for bringing this one to the forum! Your biggest takeaway should simply be to get more in the habit of finding the Proof Window (the sentence(s) in the passage that the question stem is testing) before you look at answer choices. It narrows your focus to what the answer needs to be, which makes it slightly easier to find the awkward rephrasing.
===============

Question Type: Suggests/Implies/Inferred/Most Likely to Agree

Task: Find the Proof Window based on any keywords in the question stem or answer choice and pick the answer that gives us the safest paraphrase of some line(s) from the passage.

Keywords: "Garcia .. Mexican Americans .. between 1930 and 1960"

Do those keywords trace to a certain paragraph?
Ugh, it kinda sounds like the topic of the whole passage. But this is specifically asking about ALL Mexican Americans between 1930 and 1960. Much of P1 and P2 is specifically about Mexican American activists during that time.

So it looks like P3 is where we'll find our Proof Window.

Lines 43-46 lock in best. He believes that Mexican American (leaders at least) were more acculturated and hence more politically active than those before 1930-1960.

I would look for the most conservative rephrasing of that cause/effect relationship.

(A) This has the opposite cause. Increased ethnic consciousness is kind of the opposite of "more acculturated".

(B) "More acculturated and hence more politically active"

(C) This is opposite of the effect. We have MORE interest in politics, not less.

(D) "Political militancy" seems out of scope and extreme.

(E) "Political protest" is also out of scope. We know they got more politically active, but it never said that took the form of protests. Also, was the rhetoric of WWII slogans 'patronizing'? They used the adjective "inclusive". "inclusive" is positive. "patronizing" is negative.

As you can see, the trap answers are grabbing SOMETHING familiar sounding from the nearby vicinity and just combining it with something opposite or unmentioned.

So we want to always focus on what we DON'T like about an answer, as opposed to what we like.

Hope this helps.

jkofxujing
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q24

by jkofxujing Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks a lot for the post and detailed analysis, which helps a lot!