Is D wrong because of the word 'any'?

Thanks

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q24 - Some people have maintained

by maryadkins Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Bingo! The conclusion of the argument is the last sentence (specifically the last clause, after the comma): a technologically advanced society will endanger, etc. The conclusion is not about ANY society.

(A) is wrong because it mischaracterizes the conclusion. It's also inconsistent with what the argument actually says.

(B) is wrong because the argument is against this point, not for it.

(C) IS CORRECT!

(E) is wrong because the argument doesn't say this.

hyewonkim89
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by hyewonkim89 Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 am

Will someone please explain why E is not the answer in more details?

I could eliminate A, B, and D, but I was down to C and E and ended up picking E.

I thought E meant, the proposition that private ownership of the means of production ultimately destroys any society that sanctions it is true for any society that permit new technologies without the majority's consent. Or is this wrong because of any in any society also?

Also, please explain the wording of the answer choice C!

Thank you!

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by maryadkins Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm

(E) is saying:

if there's a society where majority of citizens does not impede introduction of new tech --> private ownership of means of production ultimately destroy it

But the argument above is actually saying:

private production allows new tech to be tested without majority's consent --> if we don't have it, it'll endanger a technologically advanced society

(E) is actually saying the opposite of what the argument is, in a way. It's saying, if the majority isn't getting in the way of new tech, private ownership is going to destroy that society. But that's not at all what the argument is saying.

doug.feng
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by doug.feng Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 pm

hyewonkim89 Wrote:Will someone please explain why E is not the answer in more details?

I could eliminate A, B, and D, but I was down to C and E and ended up picking E.

I thought E meant, the proposition that private ownership of the means of production ultimately destroys any society that sanctions it is true for any society that permit new technologies without the majority's consent. Or is this wrong because of any in any society also?

Also, please explain the wording of the answer choice C!

Thank you!

The wording of (C) is slightly confusing but it's pretty straight-forward to how the part relates back to the argument.

The argument states that a technologically advanced society will hurt its survival if the means of production is made public property.

The part, in question, is stating that the argument is DOESN'T APPLY to societies where their survival depends on the technology (or the introduction of new tech), rather than the "sharing of economic resources" (public property).

Furthermore, the part, in question, is being used to limit the argument to societies that DEPEND ON the sharing of these economic resources (public property), which is what is being stated in answer choice (C).