tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q24 - Shanna: owners of any

by tzyc Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:13 am

I'm not sure how (E) helps in defending Shanna's position...
Does she talk about health risk or safety? :|

a3friedm
Thanks Received: 23
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q24 - Shanna: owners of any

by a3friedm Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm

I agree with you that the absence of a threat to anyone's health or safety was kind of a weird way to end answer choice (E), however remember in the stimulus it tells us that we are trying to find the principle that would most contribute to Shanna's defense.

She is basically saying that if you own art, you have the right to destory if you find it ugly or morally bad.

(A) Probably the most tempting wrong answer, but this doesn't really do anything to further/ conform to her argument.

(B) Opposite of what we want, we need our answer to say she has the right to destroy it.

(C) Imprudent...? Stock of artworks...? some gaurentee that artist will produce as good of work in the future as in the past??? way out of scope

(D) Maybe so, but Shanna is saying artwork is not one of them... not what we want

(E) As annoying as that absence of a threat to anyone's health or safety is, this is still the best answer choice and generally does what we want ie. people can destroy their art (sounds kinda fun).

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by tommywallach Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am

Hey Guys,

Great explanation from a3 here, but I thought I'd do my own little review. : )

Shanna: If you own a work of art, you should be able to destroy it.
Jorge: Art is different; it must be preserved no matter what it's owner wants

We're trying to defend Shanna here...

(A) If anything, this goes against her position, because then there would never be a need to destroy a work of art. However, she'd still have her inconvenience argument, so this doesn't really help or hurt her argument.

(B) This is Jorge's defense, not Shanna's!

(C) This would also be Jorge's defense!

(D) This would be Jorge's again (if it's not possible to own something, then Shanna's point is moot, because you couldn't have the right to destroy it).

(E) This helps Shanna, because it's a defense of any autonomous action that doesn't directly hurt someone; destroying a work of art does not directly hurt someone.

Hope that helps! Make sure on a question like this, your first efforts are figuring out which answer choices relate to which person!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

dragonliwenxu
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by dragonliwenxu Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 am

A. more like a reconcilation between S and J than a defense of S's position
B. opposite