Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Q24 - Car companies solicit consumer

by dan Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

24. (A)
Question Type: Inference

This is an inference question in disguise. "Proposition" is codeword for conclusion, so this question is asking us to draw a conclusion, or inference, from the information in the passage. On inference questions, we want the answer that is easiest to prove given the information in the passage. Answer (A) uses soft language that is difficult to argue with: can contribute to successful product design.

(B) is incorrect, as we don’t know if companies "traditionally" conduct these surveys, nor do we know if these surveys are "extensive."
(C) is wrong as we have no evidence to indicate that companies aim for specific "market niches."
(D) says "a car will have unappealing features." This is tough to justify.
(E) places external features in opposition to internal features. The passage does not explicitly distinguish between the two.

#officialexplanation

b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: June 07, S2, Q24 Car companies solicit consumer information

by b91302310 Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am

Hello,

Regarding answer choice (D), is it wrong simply becuase of the tone used, "will" ? I think (D) is better. For the argument is a comparison between designer interaction and survey data, (D) indicates that it is essential to consult consumers during its design stage--which supports that designer interaction is superior to survey data.

I dared not to choose (A) since I considered that the result of "successful product design" is not guaranteed by the superior method mentioned in the argument.

So, is there any other reason against answer choice (D)?

Thanks !

zl7391e
Thanks Received: 9
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: June 07, S2, Q24 Car companies solicit consumer information

by zl7391e Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 pm

yes there is. In the last sentence of the stimulus, the phrase "on last year's model" does not fit "during its design stage" in D (it should be post-design-stage to match what's stated in the stimulus).

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q24 - Car companies solicit consumer

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

zl7391e Wrote:yes there is. In the last sentence of the stimulus, the phrase "on last year's model" does not fit "during its design stage" in D (it should be post-design-stage to match what's stated in the stimulus).

Exactly right! Answer choice (D) is about what leads to design errors in general, whereas the stimulus is about using consumer interaction to improve design characteristics on existing models.

But b91302310 does have a point.
b91302310 Wrote:Hello,

Regarding answer choice (D), is it wrong simply becuase of the tone used, "will" ?

Notice the difference in strength between answer choice (A) and (D). A colleague and I were discussing this the other day and he pointed out that there is a difference between the principle questions that ask you to find a principle to which the argument conforms and one that would do most to justify the argument. For those that ask you to justify you will frequently feel as if the correct answer would also work as a sufficient assumption. For those that ask you to find a principle to which the argument would conform, you're more likely to feel that the correct answer is more similar to a necessary assumption.

Answer choice (A) is nice and weak, whereas answer choice (D) is too strong. So great discussion you have here!

shaynfernandez
Thanks Received: 5
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by shaynfernandez Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 pm

The stem seems more like its indicating a principle than a conclusion...

jnnkyle
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by jnnkyle Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:23 pm

I got the right answer, but I got tripped up on the word "input" could't surveys also be seen as input?

obobob
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by obobob Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 am

Hi, for this question stem, is the question asking to find a right "proposition," meaning a good A) conclusion, or B) premise, or C) principle? I see two of the users telling two different things-- one says that the "proposition" means conclusion in this question and the other says "principle." Nevertheless, I think the question is asking for the right premise to complete the overall argument, which concludes that "[d]esigner interaction with consumer is superior to survey data[.]"

Can anyone clarify this? :?