Q23

xiaobebe1
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q23

by xiaobebe1 Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I understand why B is correct - and obviously there can only be one correct answer - but I don't get why (D) cannot also be correct. Doesn't line 53-55 suggest that if you block (which I interpreted to include "interrupt") s-related transmission or block interaction with non-serotnin related transmitters that you end up "inducing" cravings, and so wouldn't this also work as a possible answer choice?

Thank you in advance....

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q23

by giladedelman Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Ah, be careful to read closely here: those lines say, "In contrast, drugs that block serotonin-mediated transmission or that INTERACT WITH neurotransmitters other than serotonin have the opposite effect: they often induce carbohydrate craving" (emphasis added).

So what this is saying is, blocking serotonin OR interacting with non-serotonin transmitters will cause carb cravings. But answer (D) is talking about blocking non-serotonin transmitters, which is different from interacting with them.

Does that clear this up?

xiaobebe1
Forum Guests

by xiaobebe1 Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks so much. I can't believe how easily I conflated those verbs in that sentence, even after reading it over and over again.

Thanks again!

khaleesiwantstodolaw
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by khaleesiwantstodolaw Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:37 pm

For this question, I understand B is the clear winner but I had a little trouble with E.

I justified E by referring back to lines 23-25 which mention that the proportion of tryptophan in the blood rises compared to other amino acids, so for E I thought if the proportion of amino acids relative to tryptophan increases, serotonin would decrease and thus carbohydrate cravings would be reduced.

So, I guess my question is - Is the key to eliminating this answer choice dependent on the words "peripheral tissues" or am I over thinking the whole thing?