Q23

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q23

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm

This question requires a good understanding of what is possible numerically. If you were to have no monkeys, then you would need to have all 3 pandas and all 3 raccoons. Unfortunately, N and T cannot both be selected. If you were to have no pandas, you would need all 3 monkeys and all 3 raccoons. But F and H cannot both be selected. If you were to have no raccoons, again you would need to select both F and H. Since it’s not possible to have 0 monkeys, 0 pandas, or 0 raccoons, you must select at one of each kind of animal.

ptraye
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q23

by ptraye Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am

what does answer choice (a) mean when it says, "at most two of each kind of animal"?

does that answer choice mean that you cannot have 3 from each set of animals? if so, that's obvious, because that would result in 9 animals.

or does that answer choice mean there can never be 3 of a set of animals, as in all the Pandas?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:57 pm

ptraye Wrote:what does answer choice (a) mean when it says, "at most two of each kind of animal"?

does that answer choice mean that you cannot have 3 from each set of animals? if so, that's obvious, because that would result in 9 animals.

Real close. It means that you cannot have 3 from "any" set of animals. What they're asking is whether it's possible to have all three monkeys, pandas, or raccoons. I think you interpreted it as whether it's possible to have all three monkeys, pandas, "and" raccoons.

ptraye
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ptraye Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 am

so, for answer choice (b), at least one of each kind of animal, does that answer choice mean you must have at least 1 of either of the 3 animal sets?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm

No, it means that you at at least one of "each" of the sets.

ptraye
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ptraye Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am

i don't have this game in front of me to look at the answer choices, but from what we have typed in the forum, it seems as if answer choices to this question can be confusing.

we established that "at most two of each kind of animal" means there can not be a single set with 3 animals. this can happen.

and, we established that "at least one of each kind of animal" means: is it possible to have 1 from each animal. and, i believe that is possible.

without having the entire game in front of me, now, i see a discrepancy. the first example i listed here says, "of each kind of animal," and the second example i listed says, "of each kind of animal."

so, what is the distinction i can point to in language to know whether the author means monkeys, pandas OR racoons as in the former example or whether the author means monkeys, pandas AND racoons as in the latter example?

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 pm

The only place this comes up is in question 23. Answer choice (A) says, "at most 2 of each kind of animal," which applies to all 3 kinds of animals. It is not true that for all 3 kinds of animals, one can have at most 2. For example, we're definitely allowed to have all 3 pandas, or potentially in another hypothetical all 3 raccoons.

I like to frame these Closed Binary Grouping games based on the numerical distributions.

Here we can clearly see we're allowed to have all 3 of one kind of animal, but since we're only choosing 6, there's no way we could have all 3 of each kind of animal all at once!

Answer choice (B) says, "at least 1 of each kind of animal," which applies to all 3 kinds of animals. It is true that for all 3 kinds of animals we are must have at least 1 of each kind. If we were to have 0 of any kind of animal, either N and T would both be selected (assuming 0 monkeys), or F and H would both be selected (assuming either 0 pandas or 0 raccoons).

Hope that helps!

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi,

Do you always test "If you were to have no X.." first for a question like this one?
How do you know which hypothesis to test?

I also read your diagram, and wondering
instead of making this diagram
In │ out
  -------------
_ _ _ _ _ _ │_ _ _

can we just write 6 next to In and 3 next to out?
When you make mini-diagram, I found you used the above one too, do you recommend to use it rather than the one divided by subcategories? Or is this just personal preferance?

Also how did you made the frames? :|

Thanks.