Q22

ahaq90
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q22

by ahaq90 Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

My answer key for the exam states that 'D' is the correct answer. However, an explanation I found online argued that 'C' is the correct answer. Which one is it?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q22

by maryadkins Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 pm

The correct answer is (D).

Do you still want help discussing why/why (C) is incorrect?

mgold68
Forum Guests

by mgold68 Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 pm

can someone please explain why (c) is incorrect and why (D) is the answer?

Thanks!
-Michelle

hyewonkim89
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by hyewonkim89 Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:42 pm

I also picked (C) as my answer after debating between (C) and (D).

But here is why I think (C) is incorrect after re-reading the passage.

In the second paragraph, the migration of the rural young to cities is mentioned as a factor that MAY help to explain the differences between domestic writers and Jewett. But then the passage goes on and states that it also "can be argued that these differences ultimately reflect different conceptions of the nature and purpose of fiction." In other words, the migration to urban areas may not have had an effect on the development of domestic fiction.

For (D), I found it in the last paragraph - the "high-cultural" conception.

Any thoughts?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by maryadkins Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 pm

(C) mentions migration to urban areas but this would have affected Jewett's fiction--which was secular and not about children--rather than the development of the domestic novels of the 1850s, which were not. This is why it's incorrect.

(A) isn't addressed in the passage; it says that the domestic novels were focused on women, but it doesn't say who wrote them.

(B) is likewise out of scope.

(D) is correct. Lines 24-28 and 36-40.

(E) is not mentioned.

ganbayou
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ganbayou Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:51 am

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but I could not understand this sentence: "The more didactic aims are absent from Jewett's writing.." What does this "The more" mean? I looked up my dictionary but it only says "something in addition to what you already have" or "a greater number or amount of people or things." It does not seem to mean either of these here.

I'd really appreciate your explanation...thank you.

Jmaksimiuk
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Jmaksimiuk Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Hey,

The sentence is on line (36): "The more didactic aims are absent from Jewett's writing, which rather embodies the late nineteenth century "high-cultural" conception of fiction as an autonomous sphere with value in and of itself."

"The more didactic aims" is referring to the aims of the books mentioned in the previous sentence. "Didactic" means educational, and the didactic aims of the multipurpose books described in previous sentences included instructions on child-rearing and how to fulfill one's Christian duty. In the sentence you mentioned, the author is saying that the more educational aims are absent from Jewett's writing, which treated fiction as an independent genre and not one with an educational aim.

Hope this helps. For future reference, I think questions like this should be posted in the passage summary section.

crocca
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by crocca Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello,

I'm still not sold on answer D because the passage never mentions Jewett's conception. From lines 39-39, we learn that her work "embodies 'high-cultural' conception of fiction", but it's never given to us that it was Jewett's intention or perspective. Is there something else that I am missing?

Thank you in advance.