Q22

mikeyjacobs
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

PT 44, Section 1, Question 22 & 25 P4

by mikeyjacobs Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Hey,

I'm reviewing some questions and I had one general question and one specific.

Question 22 - Which one of the following is most similar to the relationship.....
-Does the answer need to be parallel, that is if they reference X then Y, does the correct answer have to follow that same convention, is this a RULE?

Question 25 - which one of the following, in its context....
- This question makes ZERO sense to me, I understand what it is asking but do not understand how the answers are relevant to the question. It seems like this question would be similar to 23?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

aileenann
Thanks Received: 227
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Exam 44, Section 1, Question 22 & 25

by aileenann Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Hey,

I'm reviewing some questions and I had one general question and one specific.

Question 22 - Which one of the following is most similar to the relationship.....
-Does the answer need to be parallel, that is if they reference X then Y, does the correct answer have to follow that same convention, is this a RULE?

Question 25 - which one of the following, in its context....
- This question makes ZERO sense to me, I understand what it is asking but do not understand how the answers are relevant to the question. It seems like this question would be similar to 23?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your questions. You'll find replies to each question below. Also, please post questions individually in the future.

Question 22 - If you mean parallel by meaning structurally identical, then no, the answer does not have to be perfectly parallel. However, the answer does have to be logically parallel. So, for example, if there are two ideas/issues in the original relation described, then you will need two in your answer choice. You will also need to mirror the logic structure between those ideas. However, the exact ordering and language does not have to be repeated.

Question 25 - This question is asking you to pick the words where the author indicates his or her tone and feelings towards the proponents of Modern Movement. You are exactly right that it is close to Question 23 - in fact, you need to be able to answer Question 23 to move onto this more involved question, where you not only need to identify the tone and then pick words that indicate the tone. Does that make sense?

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions!

Nina
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q22

by Nina Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

i find it a little bit difficult to structurally parallel the two kinds of architecture with the two kinds of clothing discussed in answer A.

we know that comparing to pre-twentieth-century construction, MM more accurately reflects the functional spirit, and was better suited to the newest building methods. and in answer A, is the "clothing produced by a single garment maker" parallel to MM, since it suits better? and i guess, the "functional spirit" hasn't really been reflected in this answer.

am i missing something here?

Thanks a lot!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3805
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q22

by ohthatpatrick Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 am

Oh, Analogy questions, you are my least favorite. :)

I think you are missing a couple tidbits from the passage that make (A) a stronger match.

In the question stem, they want an analogy for the relationship between "pre-20th century" building methods and "new methods" of building construction".

Where do we hear about "pre-20th century" vs. "new" building methods?

Lines 40-44 tell us that "pre-20th" = a small number of workers did the job. "New" = many specialized subcontractors work independently.

Lines 44-53 go on to describe that the pre-20th century method allowed for more consistency (fewer people doing the job) and a higher level of craftsmanship. By contrast, the new method of having many different subcontractors each perform a specialized task now necessitates that an architect expect "an allowable degree of inaccuracy of the different trades".

So the contrast between "assembly line" and "single garment worker" is supposed to match up with "NEW = many specialized workers" and "pre-20th = relatively small number of workers".

Clearly, it's not an ideal match, since there was not a "single builder" in pre-20th century building. But the idea that assembly line production leads to a lower quality of craftsmanship is definitely reinforced by lines 40-53.

Why would LSAT expect that we would have remembered this point/moment in the passage? This forms a large part of the author's criticism of the Modern Movement. Ultimately, the author thinks that the Modernist's desire to have exposed structural elements (line 54) would be unrealistically expensive, given that buildings are now made 'by committee'.

Hope this helps.