Q22

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q22

by andrewgong01 Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Like Q21 I am having trouble finding support for the correct answer but process of elimination gets me pretty close to the correct answer.

Process of Elimination:

C) This is the opposite of what Passage A says. Passage A says it does NOT replace but supplements (Line 27)
D) Passage A does not talk about appellate courts
E) This was a bit of a gamble for me because I know "E" is stated directly by Passage B but I do not recall if Passage A even ever talked about the function as fact finding (e.g. it may have been inferable from everything it said). However, regardless this seems to go against Passage A which is in favor of some independent research

Unsure:

B) "Typically" may be extreme as it means above 50%. It's unclear if this is the case. Passage B towards the end of its second paragraph and third paragraph seem to suggest faulty research may be quite common. In short, I couldn't find support for or against it because it was, i think, never stated in B.

A) Passage A did say this. Passage B it is unclear though for me. The best support I see is that Paragraph 2 of Passage B talks about the crucible of adversarial systems in finding the truth so maybe that is what gives some structure where it can't be outlandish out of scope research since that wouldn't really fit well in a court focused on the truth. Franky, the other reason I chose it is because it seems like 'common sense' and unless we are dealing with radical passages it is hard to go against this.

What was the actual support for Choice "A" in Passage B or that allows us to rule out Choice B with confidence?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q22

by ohthatpatrick Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Great work on killing C/D/E.

If (B) said that research by judges SHOULD be confined to standard, reliable sources, it would be a correct answer.

Instead, it's a statement about what IS typically the case.

The support for (A) come from
psg A - 24-29
psg B - 47-50 and 55-59