by mshinners Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

Question Type:
Inference (Must Be True)

Stimulus Breakdown:
1) Sold by Regis --most--> Bought by Blom
2) Regis sales last year > Regis sales any other year
3) Bought by Blom --most--> Not sold by Regis

Answer Anticipation:
I started writing these out as conditionals, expecting to need to combine the quantified statements. However, I can't combine these two statements (1 and 3), and the second statement is comparative, so I need to look elsewhere for this question.

All the statements talk about cars sold by Regis, so there's my overlap. Nothing jumps out as me as a clear inference, so I'm going to have to go through the answers and rely on a clear understanding of the givens.

Correct answer:
(D)

Answer choice analysis:
(A) While Blomenville residents bought most of the new cars sold by Regis, and Regis had a record year, they could have seen that growth to people from other areas. If B-residents made up 90% of their sales last year, Regis could sell the exact same number of cars this year to those residents but see a huge increase in other areas, dropping the percent of B-resident sales down while selling the same number of cars to them and more cars to others.

(B) Since we don't know about the cars not sold by Regis, we can't infer this answer. It's possible they bought fewer new cars, and Regis made up for it with sales to people from other locales.

(C) While B-residents bought most of their new cars from retailers other than Regis, there's no way to know how that was apportioned. There could be a single other car dealer that beat Regis, or there could be two dozen others that split the majority of sales while all selling fewer than Regis.

(D) Huh. This seems to be connecting the statements, but let's think it through. We know most of the cars R sold went to B. But we know that most of the new cars that went to B were from somewhere else. If that's the case, then the total sales to B must be larger than the sales by R, since B made up a majority of R's sales, but R made up a minority of B's purchases. Looks like the answer, but I'd 100% check (E) before picking it.

(E) Since we have no information about B last year, there's no way to draw this conclusion.

Takeaway/Pattern:
When you're not seeing an inference in the first few seconds, reiterate the givens and then hop into the answers.

#officialexplanation

jobsonk757
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q22 - Most of the new cars that Regis

by jobsonk757 Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 am

We have the best results when it comes to Windshield Glass replacement.