tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Q21 - The town of Greenfield recently

by tzyc Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 am

Is the answer (D) because the tax does not have to provide the incentive to do what written in (D), rather than it contradicts what the stimulus says...correct?
I chose (D) but would like to double check whether my understanding is correct or not...
Thank you

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q21 - The town of Greenfield recently

by maryadkins Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

(A) Yes! They have an incentive to do this--they should sort through it and take it on their own to the center.

(B) Unfortunately, yes--they now have an incentive to illegally dump.

(C) Definitely--if they compress, they'll use fewer garbage bags (which is how the tax is measured).

(D) Hmm--if they deliver recyclables to the center, sure, but instead of passing them on to neighbors? That's not something that would save them money--if they passed on to neighbors, that would be as good as taking it to a center. This doesn't work.

(E) Definitely. Less trash.

clarajl920
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by clarajl920 Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:46 am

maryadkins Wrote:(A) Yes! They have an incentive to do this--they should sort through it and take it on their own to the center.

(B) Unfortunately, yes--they now have an incentive to illegally dump.

(C) Definitely--if they compress, they'll use fewer garbage bags (which is how the tax is measured).

(D) Hmm--if they deliver recyclables to the center, sure, but instead of passing them on to neighbors? That's not something that would save them money--if they hpassed on to neighbors, that would be as good as taking it to a center. This doesn't work.

(E) Definitely. Less trash.

What I don't understand is that must be true questions usually have information that is included. There is no mention of dumping trash and it's illogical that it would create a financial incentive more than passing them onto the neighbors. Please clarify.

mwalton444
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by mwalton444 Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:53 am

I’m not understanding how sorting out trash thoroughly from their other trash would solve anything. That is, unless we assume that this sorted out trash is recycled. I was not willing to make that assumption, which is why I did not pick (A). Also, can someone be more clear as to why the second part of (D) (the correct answer) makes it wrong. Not getting this one.

Thanks!

touch_horizon
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by touch_horizon Fri May 13, 2016 11:31 pm

for (D) I think maybe the author just mean that you can reduce the volum of your trush by split some recyeclable trush out of the trash bag and at this stage, you tax bill has already decreased. in order to dispose the recyclable trash, it does metter if you give them to the center or your neighbors as long as it is not in the trash bag.