Q21

agersh144
Thanks Received: 6
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q21

by agersh144 Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Can someone please explain how B is supported from the passage?

fmuirhea
Thanks Received: 64
Forum Guests

Re: Q21

by fmuirhea Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 pm

(B) is supported by a combination of statements in the passage:

lines 6-7: "priority of access to resources (increases) with higher status"
lines 31-33: "adults, usually dark throated, have higher status than juveniles, who are usually light throated"

So, the first statement sets up a relationship: the higher the status, the higher the priority of access. The second statement confirms that adults have higher status than juveniles, which pushes you to the conclusion that adults accordingly have the higher priority of access, i.e., that adults get first dibs on food before juveniles.

(A) "only" is not supported by the passage, and is in fact contradicted by the statement from lines 31-33 above
(C) saying that the status is "equal" is not supported by the passage
(D) we have no data as to the relative frequency of aggressive interactions when comparing adult and juvenile sparrows
(E) again, no comparison is made between sparrows and titmice in terms of frequency of aggressive interactions

agersh144
Thanks Received: 6
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by agersh144 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Ah ok its a combo inferences, got it, thanks for the explanation much appreciated :)

krisk743
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by krisk743 Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Since when can "access to resources" be taken has "access to food" ?

I understand it's an inference question but I crossed this off with the notion that I can't make a jump like that.....
Everything else was bad for answers, and I chose D (although I wasn't a fan) but couldn't get myself to chose B.

Can anyone help?