Why is B a better choice than A here?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q21

by maryadkins Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 am

Good question. They're very similar, right?

When you have two answers that are so similar, focus on what makes them different. In this case, two things:

1. Hypothesis v. Conclusion

2. Supporting Examples v. Supporting Information

Line 4 tells us that biologists have CONCLUDED how the platypus uses its bill (see line 6, too). That's a big point for (B).

Then the rest of the passage isn't actually giving us examples of when and how it does, but the studies that led to this conclusion. Sure, examples are used to support the findings of the research, but the real support comes from the description of the research and what it shows--not just the examples themselves, which don't tell us anything unless we know how to interpret them.

Cavetisy
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Cavetisy Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 am

Is "amended" were E) goes wrong? The reason being that nothing in the passage was amended.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by maryadkins Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:02 pm

(E) is definitely wrong because of "amended" but I'd also say it's wrong because it isn't so much a theory that's introduced as a scientific conclusion (see previous discussion).

As for the others not previously addressed:

(C) is like (E)"”this isn't so much a thesis (as if it's an opinion) as a scientific conclusion supported with evidence (not argument)

(D) is just way off.

SelinaC875
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by SelinaC875 Thu May 05, 2022 2:46 am

Hi,
I am still having trouble with why B is the correct answer. While I agree that the first paragraph talks about a conclusion and why it is supported, the second paragraph talks about a hypothesis (line 39-41). Wouldn't B be overly certain?