Q21

MitchellL341
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q21

by MitchellL341 Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm

If Hsu is the chairperson in the first year, which one of the following could be the chairperson in the second year?

What's the best approach to solving this one? Plug and chug? I felt like I was missing an inference here and, in the same way, on questions 20 and 22.

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q21

by Laura Damone Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi! Please forgive the delayed response here. We had a technical issue that caused this post to get buried!

This is a fantastic game for Framing and that may be why you felt as though you were missing something. The last rule tells us that each year has either I or V, but not both. That creates, in effect, an IV antichunk and a frameable I/V split.

If V is selected, we know I and G can't be. That means F and H must be in order to get two lawmakers. And if H is selected, Y is not, leaving Z to be the second scientist.

Thus, the selection of V fills the group: V, Z, F, H

If I is selected, we know V is not, meaning Y and Z must be. And if Y is selected, H is not, leaving F or G to fill the remaining lawmaker slot.

Thus, the selection of I fills the group, too, though with a dual option in one Lawmaker slot: Y, Z, I, F/G

The rule about the chairperson contained in the scenario tells us that the Chairperson of the first year can't serve on the panel in the second year. That means the panel can't be the same in both years. Since V fills the entire group, V can't be selected both years. This means either V is selected one year and I is selected the other year, or I is selected both years. You could draw out all three of these options (one with V in year one, one with V in year 2, one with I in both), or you could just draw out what happens when V is selected and what happens with I is selected. I chose the latter path because it gave me so much info already that I didn't feel I needed to draw out three different frames.

Now, to question 20. If V is the chair in year 1, I must go on year two. That gives us:

Year 1: Vc Z H F
Year 2: Z Y I F/G

I and Y must serve in year 2, thus D is correct.

Question 21 uses the same frame. The chairperson the second year must have been on the panel in year 1, and only Z and F could double up, so one of them must be correct.

22 can use that same frame as well, demonstrating that F and G can't be on the panel together.

Hope this helps, and again, sorry for the delay!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep