b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q21 - Pedro: Unlike cloth diapers, disposable diapers

by b91302310 Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm also considering (D). Is it wrong because Maria does not mention that using cloth diapers is a "far more serious" treat ? So, this answer is exaggerate.

However, for (B), I think Pedro does not show any evidence about the cloth diapers. He is in favor of cloth diapers due to the disadvantages of disposable diapers. So, I was wondering where is the inadequate evidence about cloths diapers ?

Could anyone help?

Thanks

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q21 - Pedro: Unlike cloth diapers, disposable diapers

by noah Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm happy to help, particularly as I have an infant and we use cloth diapers!

With this argument, Pedro offers several facts about the negative impact of disposable diapers to support his conclusion that people must stop buying them and switch to cloth diapers.

Maria points out the negative environmental impact of cloth diapers. Notice that she does not state that she disagrees with his conclusion. Perhaps she agrees but she feels his argument is incomplete.

(B) correctly summarizes Maria's objection; she points out that Pedro has forgotten certain evidence about cloth diapers being detrimental to the environment. He has drawn a hasty conclusion and has not considered all the evidence.

(A) is incorrect because Maria doesn't discuss disposable diapers.

(C) is incorrect because there's no discussion of disposable diapers, and definitely no discussion of the word "disposable."

(D) is wrong because there's no discussion of the relative threat the different diapers pose.

(E) is out of scope - there's no discussion of economics.

Does that clear it up?

nbayar1212
Thanks Received: 22
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by nbayar1212 Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Does the last line of the stimulus have a particular function in Maria's argument as whole? I am referring to the line that says "When families use diaper services.... the trucks needs to refuel and the air gets polluted."

Is this just a sentence that's meant to trip us up since it strengthens Pedro's case by giving another reason why disposable diapers are bad?

sumukh09
Thanks Received: 139
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by sumukh09 Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm

nbayar1212 Wrote:Does the last line of the stimulus have a particular function in Maria's argument as whole? I am referring to the line that says "When families use diaper services.... the trucks needs to refuel and the air gets polluted."

Is this just a sentence that's meant to trip us up since it strengthens Pedro's case by giving another reason why disposable diapers are bad?

That last line serves to bolster Maria's argument about the damaging effects of diapers in general (both cloth + disposable). She doesn't necessarily strengthen Pedro's argument since this part supports the contention that diapers, regardless of type, is bad for the environment.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:54 pm

sumukh09 Wrote:
nbayar1212 Wrote:Does the last line of the stimulus have a particular function in Maria's argument as whole? I am referring to the line that says "When families use diaper services.... the trucks needs to refuel and the air gets polluted."

That last line serves to bolster Maria's argument about the damaging effects of diapers in general (both cloth + disposable). She doesn't necessarily strengthen Pedro's argument since this part supports the contention that diapers, regardless of type, is bad for the environment.

I actually disagree with this one. Maria is talking specifically about "diaper services"--so that's only referring to cloth diapers.

While we could apply it to disposable ones (which have to get to the store somehow), that's not what Maria is doing.