Thanks Received: 135
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q21 - A local marsh would need to be drained

by mshinners Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Question Type:
Principle Matching

Stimulus Breakdown:
A marsh needs to be drained to build something. But the marsh might be important, so the city should look into that before draining the marsh.

Answer Anticipation:
Don't make a change until you've analyzed its impact.

Correct answer:
(B)

Answer choice analysis:
(A) Degree/structure. The conclusion is too extreme ("blockā€¦pending" vs. "rejected"). The premises also don't match up (a bit transitive here). The principle here is: If the cost outweighs the benefit, don't do it.

(B) Boom. Yova shouldn't make this change until analyzing the impact. Leave it, then pick it.

(C) Premise/conclusion mismatch. This answer applies a principle that is clearly stated, and it deals with being unable to do something that is necessary.

(D) The similar topic makes this answer suspect. The principle here is: Compare the damage and minimize it.

(E) Conclusion is a clear reason to rule this out ("Do X" vs. "Block pending assessment"). Principle: Even if it's costly, do something that will overall save.

Takeaway/Pattern:
For a Principle Matching question, it's important to clearly state your principle before heading into the answer choices. However, don't forget to also look for premise/conclusion mismatches.

#officialexplanation

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q21 - A local marsh would need to be drained

by andrewgong01 Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm

mshinners Wrote:Question Type:
Principle Matching

(C) Premise/conclusion mismatch. This answer applies a principle that is clearly stated, and it deals with being unable to do something that is necessary.

#officialexplanation

What is the principle that is stated in "C". It seems more like "C" just gave a conditional that a safety check requires a week. We know that it could not have been a week due to paperwork. This means a saftey check could not have been conducted.

However, the conclusion is on releasing a report (a new term) and that it should not be released at this time (adds an opinion on if we should or should not do something) . However, all we can conclude, if we take the first sentence as the principle, is that the safety check is incomplete; we know nothing of applying a principle here on reports or releasing reports before a check is completed etc.

In other words, it seems more like the principle in "C" is implied from the answer choice but never stated or applied. It seems more like "C"'s principle is ' If the lab results are not fully completed we should not release any reports regarding the results of the lab".

JoyS894
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q21 - A local marsh would need to be drained

by JoyS894 Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm

I am not sure that I understand the explanation for why C) is incorrect re: premise/conclusion mismatch. The stimulus says that "a local marsh would need to be drained before building an office complex." C says that the grill requires a week of uninterrupted testing. In both of these isn't there a necessary condition? I chose B) because I thought it just seemed to be right, but I am still unsure of why C) is wrong. If someone could clarify that would be great.