jrdn_pearl
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

trophy
First Responder

Q20

by jrdn_pearl Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:09 pm

i am having trouble with the main point of the passage. can anyone clarify why # 20 is C ???

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: PT 45, S2, P4 The struggle to obtain legal recognition of

by noah Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Hey There, Sorry for the delay -- the post got lost in the after-rush of the last LSAT.

Looking over this passage, we see the following:

Para 1: Background on rights, current situation: "this decision has placed on provincial courts the enormous burden . . ."

Para 2: example of this problematic arrangement (how aboriginal people have struggled to have their rights respected in terms of rulings

Para 3: is another example, with a similar purpose as paragraph 2.

So, for question 20, (C) encompasses the passage's main gist: that problems that have arisen in interpreting constitutional rights.

(A) is too extreme -- "overly conservative"?
(B) use of "overwhelming" is suspicious, but more importantly, the answer is too narrow. Land ownership is an example of a broader problem.
(D) is unsupported. While provincial courts have perhaps made decisions that were problematic for aboriginal peoples, there's no indication that the courts made those decision in order to limit those rights. Perhaps the courts were simply following the letter of the law.
(E) is too narrow. While the Supreme Court is noted as a possible remedy, it is only one small point, and is offered as a "dovetail" at the end of the passage.

Tell me if that helps.

Djjustin818
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q20

by Djjustin818 Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I still don't understand why B is wrong. Yes the answer uses the term "overwhelming" but the passage states "the ENORMOUS burden of interpreting and translating...." Wouldn't that justify using the word overwhelming?

B and C both seem right to me, I just don't see how C is a better answer.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q20

by noah Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Djjustin818 Wrote:I still don't understand why B is wrong. Yes the answer uses the term "overwhelming" but the passage states "the ENORMOUS burden of interpreting and translating...." Wouldn't that justify using the word overwhelming?

B and C both seem right to me, I just don't see how C is a better answer.

I agree that the "overwhelming" issue is rather thin, but what about the stuff that comes after "but more importantly" in my explanation for what's wrong with (B)? ;)

Is the passage all about the issues involved with aboriginal people getting their land or is that just an example of a broader issue? (notice that in line 45 we see it brought up as an example).

Make sense.