Q20

StratosM31
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q20

by StratosM31 Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Hey,

does anybody know any shortcuts in order to get faster to the right answer on this question? The only one in which I haven't come to anything beyond brute-forcing and applying the rules yet (except for direct elimination of the answer with J in it).

MichaelM413
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q20

by MichaelM413 Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm

To me, it was just looking at the rules.

R still on board when van reaches M = R can get off at or after M. (in this question M is 1st and thus R is an option)

J is on board longer than V = V-J (Thus eliminating J from ever being 1st and V ever being last. V can still be first and an option for this question)

Last rule was confusing to me. I interpreted it as: If J is off at or after F then G is off at or after S. Otherwise G is off before S. I took that as; G-S until J is forced to get off at or after F.

When I looked at the question it was a conditional putting M as 1st. Combine that with L has to be 1st or 2nd, I came up with:

(I did what I could to diagram with this text editor)

_ _ _ _ or _ _ _ _ |Passengers
M L F S or M L S F |Stops

Then I went through what I know on the rules: I know J can't go 1st. And nothing is forcing me to put J at or after the F slots meaning G could go anywhere before S (slot 1 is valid). Finally R can get off at M. Leading me up to G,R,V can go into slot 1 (M) and J is the only one restricted from that slot. Answer choice D reflects my findings. I'm going with that.

That's how I did it, hopefully that helps in some way.

MichaelM413
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q20

by MichaelM413 Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:32 pm

StratosM31 Wrote:Hey,

does anybody know any shortcuts in order to get faster to the right answer on this question? The only one in which I haven't come to anything beyond brute-forcing and applying the rules yet (except for direct elimination of the answer with J in it).

(I'm not seeing my initial post so if this is a duplicate I apologize)

To me it was just looking at the rules:

Rule 1: L is either 1st or 2nd

Rule 2: R gets off at or after M

Rule 3: V-J

Rule 4: Confused me but I took it as; If J is at or after F then G is at or after S. Otherwise G-S. Thus G-S until J is forced to be at or after F.

Q 20 is a conditional stating that M is 1st. Taking Rule 1 we know L has to be 2nd. Thus I came up with this

_ _ _ _ or _ _ _ _ || Passengers

MLFS or MLSF || Stops

After that it was a matter of going through what I know of the rules.

Rule 1: Not applicable

Rule 2: R can get off at M, M is 1st = R is valid.

Rule 3: J can never go 1st and V can never go last = J is restricted from spot 1 V is still valid for this question

Rule 4: Nothing is forcing J into the F slots meaning G can go before S = G can go into the first slot = G is valid.

Thus resulting in R,V,G being valid and J not being valid for spot 1 (M). Answer choice D reflects my findings. I'm going with that.

Hopefully this helped out. Sorry if it didn't!