ganbayou
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q20 - Researchers compared the brains

by ganbayou Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I do not understand why E is correct...I chose C because I thought the second sentence and last sentence may tell it. 65% people may develop it after the second fetal trimester because as it develops more, more people might have suffered from it.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q20 - Researchers compared the brains

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Hey ganbayou, it's all about the Degree of the answer choice. In short, answer choice (C) is stated more assuredly than can be supported by the statements above.

We know the following:

1. 35% of the brains studied from individuals with schizophrenia had damage to an area of the brain known as the subplate.
2. None of the brains studied from individuals without schizophrenia had damage to an area of the brain known as the subplate.
3. Damage to the subplate must have occurred during the second trimester.

Answer choice (E) links the statements together, but without overstating what is known - there may be a cause of schizophrenia that predates birth.

Incorrect Answers
(A) is too strong. We do not know that damaged subplates cause schizophrenia, nor if it does, whether it is only 35% of people with damaged subplates that develop schizophrenia. The statements are consistent with 100% of people with damaged subplates developing schizophrenia.
(B) is out of scope. We know nothing about promising treatments.
(C) is both unsupported and out of scope. Couldn't it also be true, even if some people developed schizophrenia during the second trimester, that the rest of those who develop schizophrenia do so before the second trimester.
(D) is out of scope. We don't know what the cause of schizophrenia is.

WesleyC316
Thanks Received: 3
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q20 - Researchers compared the brains

by WesleyC316 Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 am

I got this question wrong because I had no idea what second fetal trimester was and quickly crossed out E...... Guess I need to work on my vocab more.