Thanks Received: 155
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Q20 - Gamba: Munoz claims that

by dan Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

20. (E)
Question Type: Analyze Argument Structure

In stating that the 15 opposing votes represent far less than 1 percent of Hopeville’s population," Gamba is in essence saying that the sample size of the vote is too small to take seriously. Answer (E) expresses this.

(A) is tempting because it addresses the data associated with the vote. However, Gamba never claims that the vote was inaccurate because the opposition was "more likely to vote."
(B) is tempting as well because it addresses the data associated with the vote. However, Gamba never claims that the data has been manipulated, only that it is not representative.
(C) is incorrect. Munoz never claims that the result of the vote guarantees citywide opposition. Thus, it is impossible for Gamba to refute this guarantee.
(D) is confusing in its language. Gamba doesn’t refute Munoz’s argument on the grounds that the vote is impossible to disconfirm, but rather on the grounds that the vote isn’t representative of the larger population.

#officialexplanation

perng.yan
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Re: June 07, S2, Q20 Gamba: Munoz claims that the Southwest

by perng.yan Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Sorry, could you explain answer choice (C) a little bit more clearly?

I read the problem as:

Munoz claims SHNA's opposition to the new water system as a city opposition.

But Gamba rejects this argument by saying that, although it is true that the SHNA DID oppose to the new water system, it's not true that it's a city opposition. Which is what (C) basically said.

THANKS!

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: June 07, S2, Q20 Gamba: Munoz claims that the Southwest

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 pm

(C) is very tempting, but the author does not seem to think that the premises are true. In fact, much of the argument is spent questioning the validity of the premises. I definitely understand your reasoning, but I don't think the author takes it to be true that the association overwhelmingly opposes the system -- I think the author doesn't think there is enough evidence to say this, and that's a big part of his point.

perng.yan
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Re: Q20 - Gamba: Munoz claims that

by perng.yan Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:49 pm

mmm i get it!! thanks for setting it straight for me.