ams_11235
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q20 - Current maps showing the North

by ams_11235 Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't see how answer choice D supports the conclusion that the new maps would be more useful. Both maps used data based on weather conditions, so stating that weather conditions is most important seems irrelevant.

I do understand how answer choice B is correct, I just need some help explaining why choice D is not.

Thanks

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 3 times.

Re: Q20 - Current maps showing the North

by giladedelman Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks for the question!

The current maps, according to the argument, use 60-year-old data gathered from a few hundred primitive weather stations. The new ones will be more useful because they use thousands of modern weather stations and input from gardeners.

We're being asked to identify the statement that DOESN'T strengthen the conclusion. So we know the four incorrect answers will be assumptions underlying the argument that the new maps will be more useful, while the correct answer will either weaken the argument or have no effect on it (i.e., be out of scope).

(B) is correct. Whether some weather stations are more than 60 years old has no bearing on the argument. We care about the usefulness of the new maps compared to the current ones.

(A) strengthens the argument by explaining why input from gardeners will be useful.

(C) strengthens the argument by explaining why having data from a greater number of weather stations will be an improvement.

(D) strengthens the argument by establishing that weather conditions are useful in determining where plants will grow. It's not necessary that they be the most important factor, but if they were unimportant, it wouldn't make sense to expect any benefits from having more information about them.

(E) strengthens the argument by explaining why data from modern weather stations will be an improvement over data from the old ones.

Did that answer your question? Let me know if you're still not sure why (D) is incorrect.

ams_11235
Forum Guests

Re: PT32, S1, Q20 - Current maps showing the North American

by ams_11235 Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for your help. I think I must be looking too deeply into it.

My problem is that you have to assume that having data from more weather stations will provide better insight into weather conditions than the data used in the old maps. If the increase data provides the same amount of insight into weather conditions, then answer choice D becomes irrelevant because both maps would be provide equal information on the most important factor and if they are equal in this important regard, then the conclusion that the new maps are more useful would not be strengthened.

I'm probably out thinking myself. Thanks again for your help!

clydemail
Forum Guests

Re: Q20 - Current maps showing the North American

by clydemail Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi,

I disagree with the reasoning you used for ruling out D. Negation does not really work here because weather conditions could still be an important factor or as equally important as gathering input from home gardeners.

However, if weather conditions are the most important factor then wouldn't we want the best weather information available. In the main premise the author does not mention weather data and input form home gardeners, but computerized data from modern weather stations and input from home gardeners. If the author felt that computerized weather data gathered from modern station was no better than that gathered from primitive ones, why would he make that distinction in the premise.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

Re: Q20 - Current maps showing the North American

by giladedelman Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Regarding answer (D), see my explanation above. I'm not saying (D) is a necessary assumption, I'm saying it strengthens the argument and in fact gives us more information than we need to fill in the assumption that weather data is important.

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Could you clarify?

donamhyun
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by donamhyun Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Hi!

So the question is support EXCEPT question!
=> Why is “new map, which shows North American regions where different types of garden plants will flourish, far more useful”? Find and eliminate!

(A) Supports [new map]. ELIMINATE
(B) Age of weather station has no effect on the conclusion. CORRECT
(C) Shows [new map: "several thousand modern weather stations"] is better than [current map: "a few hundred primitive weather station"]. ELIMINATE
(D) Weather condition is the most important factor. "Maps showing the North American regions WHERE different types of garden plants WILL FLOURISH" => Map is the PREDICTION for place where plants will flourish. Therefore, newer the better! [New maps] use data from MODERN weather stations, whereas [current maps] use data from PRIMITIVE weather stations. ELIMINATE
(E) Strengthens the argument by weakening an aspect of [current map]. ELIMINATE

Please confirm!

vstoever
Thanks Received: 3
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by vstoever Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 am

I think this might help when it comes to D:

Think of it this way, if weather conditions were NOT an important factor to determine where the plants will grow, the argument that the new maps based on thousands of WEATHER stations will be more useful would be weakened. So the fact that weather is such an important determining factor actually strengthens the argument that these new maps, which are based on weather, will be more helpful.