mymansupa
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q2 - The principal's response to Ms.

by mymansupa Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I have seen this question before BUT expalin to me how traffic jams ARE in FACT... NOT AVOIDABLE??? Is it by definition? (B) seemed stronger to me because it says being caught in one, and that is an inconvenience... I'm just frustrated by this one...

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q2 - The principal's response to Ms.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 pm

I can see you are frustrated - let me see if I can help --

Do we know that all traffic jams are unavoidable? Absolutely not. But there is nothing about this question that warrants holding this answer up against such a high standard.

We are asked why the response is most vulnerable to criticism. Here's an analogous situation (It's a silly example, I'm sorry - but hopefully it will prove the point)

Sally: I am worried because my two year old daughter can't say my name.

Ted: That's okay. My two year old dog can't say my name either.

What's wrong with Ted's response? Humans say names, and dogs don't.

Do we have proof that dogs don't say names? No. It is not 100% provable. But it is the best representation of what is wrong with Ted's response. He is assuming that the daughter and dog are equivalent enough to make a parallel argument, and failing to see what is reasonably a critical difference.

That's what is happening here --

The principal is equating the recess situation to being stuck in the middle of a traffic jam but there is one critical difference -- it's easy to just give them recess, but when you are stuck in a traffic jam there is typically little that can be done. This is the flaw that (D) addresses.

Again, you could argue that (D) is not 100% provable (unavoidable for whom? and maybe you can avoid them if you are a great driver?). But that's beside the point -- it still accurately represents the flaw in the the assumed connection between subjects.

(B) is about inconvenience -- it's difficult to see a clear and significant difference between the recess situation and the traffic situation in terms of inconvenience. He's not clearly wrong in saying that both situations cause inconvenience.

Hope that helps! Please follow up with any questions if you need further clarification.

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Re: Q2 - The principal's response to Ms.

by tzyc Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

Just wondering...
Isn't the answer (C)?
My answer says (C) instead of (D)...