Q2

khaleesiwantstodolaw
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q2

by khaleesiwantstodolaw Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 am

For this question, I was down to answer choices B and C. I ultimately picked B, the correct answer choice. But wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct for eliminating choice C.

Is C wrong because the Afrocentric point of view is different from the point of view that was characteristic of early Black writers such as Richard Wright?

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q2

by tommywallach Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:12 am

Hello Khaleesi (Mother of Dragon law),

Yes, I'd say your interpretation is pretty spot on. Just for fun, let's take all the answer choices.

(A) The passage says that the novel received "a mixture of positive and negative reviews." This isn't quite "wide acclaim".

(B) CORRECT. We get both "Their Eyes was not totally ignored by book reviewers" and then "the novel went quietly out of print." These two sentences allow us to get this answer choice.

(C) This is a very tricky answer choice. We know that the novel was reviewed by some members of the Black literary community. However, the term "Afrocentric" is never mentioned in that context (or in that paragraph). The term only comes up in the next paragraph, with "The Afrocentric standards of evaluation were equally important to the rediscovery of Their Eyes..." We know this came later, but we don't know if the term was backdated in such a way that earlier criticism could also be called Afrocentric.

(D) is contradicted by the final paragraph, which tells us that the book couldn't be appreciated until Black literature was allowed to be something more than protest fiction (for example, a description of life for a Black female at a certain time, or an exploration of "the speaking Black voice in writing").

(E) See answer choice (A) for an explanation of why this is wrong.

Hope that helps, and good work, Khaleesi!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

keonheecho
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by keonheecho Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi, im still unsure about E. For E, what about the part of the passage (ln 36-40) that says that MOST critics and readers' expectations...rendered them unable to appreciate Hurston's delineation...and the novel went quietly out of print? This seems to suggest that they did not respond positively, if the book went out of print. Is it because critics arent the same as reviewers?

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by tommywallach Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Many critically acclaimed books go out of print. In fact, MORE critically acclaimed books go out of print. Often it's the worst books that end up being bestsellers. (And I say this as someone who currently has a book on the NYTimes Bestseller List!: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-boo ... /list.html).

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

krisk743
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by krisk743 Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

I don't understand how you can use this to justify crossing off E....."most critics and readers were unable to appreciate" ....E) Most early reviewers didn't respond positively

I don't get how the LSAT justifies answers like this. You tell us to go back and look and when we do find the answers but they're still wrong. This is why RC needs to be amended. Can't just ask us to find support and then interpret it in another way. E can clearly be supported. B could be too, but there is zero way that E can be eliminated based off that explanation.

tommywallach Wrote:Many critically acclaimed books go out of print. In fact, MORE critically acclaimed books go out of print. Often it's the worst books that end up being bestsellers. (And I say this as someone who currently has a book on the NYTimes Bestseller List!: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-boo ... /list.html).

-t

enrikque
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by enrikque Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 pm

(E) states "Most EARLY reviewers...."

Starting in line 17, "Their Eyes was not totally ignored by book reviewers upon its publication. In fact, it received a mixture of positive and negative reviewers..."

Your quote also includes critics and readers and not just reviewers.

PaulaA278
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by PaulaA278 Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Speaking about the different opportunities of the creation of the different works on such a topic, you are welcome to be sure in the place you are going to ask the professionals to do here. So if you are ready to complete the process of training or education, it is better to be sure in the quality, as it can be here https://edubirdie.com/thesis-writing-help . The next step is connected to the main aspect of work with them. If you are looking for the best area to be sure in the quality and quantity peculiarities here, you are welcome to be sure in them.