Q2

mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q2

by mcrittell Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I chose E because I thought it referenced line 19-21 directly. Can someone explain this question please? Gracias!

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q2

by bbirdwell Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 pm

This question actually references lines 21-23.

The phrase "such instruction" refers to whatever instruction immediately precedes it. In this case, "instructions to ignore information learned outside the courtroom."

This supports answer choice (A): "deliberate only on what they learn in a trial..."
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

mcrittell
Thanks Received: 5
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by mcrittell Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 pm

bbirdwell Wrote:This question actually references lines 21-23.

The phrase "such instruction" refers to whatever instruction immediately precedes it. In this case, "instructions to ignore information learned outside the courtroom."

This supports answer choice (A): "deliberate only on what they learn in a trial..."

Totally makes sense.

rcappuzz
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rcappuzz Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I chose answer (C) and I do not understand how it can be wrong.

I agree that "such instruction" refers to what the judge had previously said, however "Mental Contortions" suggest an inward struggle of the mind which I thought (C) represented perfectly.

(A) Correctly refers to the "such instruction". However, how is "not deliberating" on something a mental contortion? The lack of deliberations seems like an outward struggle to me.

Can someone explain to me why my reasoning is incorrect?

asafezrati
Thanks Received: 6
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by asafezrati Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

rcappuzz Wrote:I chose answer (C) and I do not understand how it can be wrong.

I agree that "such instruction" refers to what the judge had previously said, however "Mental Contortions" suggest an inward struggle of the mind which I thought (C) represented perfectly.

(A) Correctly refers to the "such instruction". However, how is "not deliberating" on something a mental contortion? The lack of deliberations seems like an outward struggle to me.

Can someone explain to me why my reasoning is incorrect?

The instructions require jurors to ignore outside information while on duty. It doesn't preclude them from hearing about the case outside of their working hours and forming opinions, as long as all of that stays out of the courthouse. Actually, it can be expected by all sides that the future jurors will hear about a case, so while forming a jury the judge has to ask them not to use prior knowledge.