Q2

steves
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q2

by steves Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 pm

I've crashed 3 times on this seemingly simple basic ordering game.

I start off by dutifully drawing out the diagram with typical inferences--the ones that show what can't go in the early or late positions because others would have to go before or after them.

With those inferences, all but G & L were eliminated from the 6th position, so G or L must be 6. And if G goes in 6, H goes in 5--so L can never go in 5. That, at long last, got me to Q4.

From Matt's diagram, I can see why L can't be in 5--but it doesn't show me how to get there. While the inferences finally got me there, the inferences were of no help with the similar Q2 and 3. I tried frames, as one of the others did--but the frames took me way too long.

My sense is that the most efficient process is from those who made and manipulated the blocks. Similar to Q4, I can see that there is no room for the HG and JM/MJ blocks if HG is in 3-4 once I looked at the answer. But the only way I was able to get there myself was trial and error--which took way too long.

Is there another type of inference or process for getting to these answers, or is the solution of fitting in the blocks something that we have to be able to see when we take the BIG PAUSE--because I just didn't see it.

Since it didn't leap out at me during the big pause (3 times now), I'm headed for another crash when I come to a similar game without a more straightforward process to infer these types answers, or a better understanding of how to recognize the key to getting to these types of answers during the big pause.

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 640
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q2

by maryadkins Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 am

Really good question. Yes, manipulating the blocks/counting is the best way to get to this inference. And that's something you can get better at (keep returning to this game after some time has passed). It IS possible to get better at this/look for this kind of thing on relative ordering games during the "Big Pause." For me, it comes down to counting...I see that I have these chunks, and if they're all in front of L, nothing is left that could be behind L. You're asking the right questions and studying effectively. Keep it up!